Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Old(s) Fart
6,236 Posts
Many with lots of money so they just install a crate engine or high performance transmission from a large supplier. Almost no one works on their own cars anymore, (I am almost 72 so still do). Just in the last 5-10 years even the amount of quality information one can find online in Forums has declined significantly as well.
Sadly this is all too true. No one does their own work anymore, and the shops they go to would rather drop in a pre-assembled crate motor than waste time rebuilding one. Heck, I have to drive 50 miles just to have brake drums turned by a competent shop. As for online information, my admittedly unscientific survey suggests that about 80% of responses to a technical question are flat wrong.

· Old(s) Fart
6,236 Posts
Jasper has done custom builds in the past. They did a I6 IH for a customer's light duty truck a few years ago. Their price was not bad and they even painted it the original color.
And this is why machine shops are a dying breed. No one wants to build their own motors. They just want a turn key solution that they drop in. Makes it tough for those of us what to do our own to find competent machining.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts