Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a place to find magnesium wheels, I have some on my 77 Trans am for 25 years ago, but i'm looking for someone who makes them so I can look into some different tire sizes. I havent found anything online and I'm not looking for vintage wheels. any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
327NUT said:
Question.....why do you need magnesium wheels for diff. tire sizes? unless you just want magnesium wheels. And what kind of magnesium wheels are the 25 yr. old ones?
I'm not sure of the brand, my dad bought them at a BF Goodrich store years ago. You cant see them very well but you get the idea. it has a 295 50 15 tire on there and I'm looking for something for something a little wider.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Tom...they look like some type of road racing wheel, can't really tell if they are magnesium. Doesn't your wheels have a manufacturer name cast into the back somewhere?...most do. Real magnesium wheels are hard to find and VERY expensive.

Like said before you might check ebay (still expensive) or other publications. And yes Tiptop, they will burn if ignited and you usually can't extinguish them, even under water.....but I've never tried it....

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've never looked on the wheel for a brand, they're defiantly magnesium though.
I'm in the process of rebuilding the car and the wheels haven't been a concern yet, but now i'm getting into buying parts for it and wanted to see if they are still made. I've seen the tuner-ish style wheels in magnesium but i'm looking for an older style. I don't really like the torq-thrust style but If i could find something that looked like the old halibrands that would be awesome. If not these will be fine.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have a hard time believing that this are 25 year old magnesium rims.
Magnesium is aging and with that loosing in strength or better integrity.
I/m coming out of the semi pro motorcycle racing and we used to replace magnesium parts after 5 years of age.
But maybe its something different here.
and yes magnesium is very ugly to machine especially with the fire hazard.

Tomi

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well they were new when he bought them, and it was only driven for about 10 years after that. and then it sat for 17 years, it hasnt been driven, so I can't attest to their strength, but the look fine, just like they do in the picture.

·
More for Less Racer
20,943 Posts
What makes you think that they are magnesium?? They look like a popular late 70's early 80's aluminum wheel that has just gone crusty with age. Did they have any polished or freshly turned surfaces when new?? How long did they stay polished or fresh looking??

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My dad said that at one point he sandblasted it to remove corrosion (the car sat outside) and thats what thats why it has the matte look in the pictures, I'm not sure if they had a polish on them when he bought them.

·
More for Less Racer
20,943 Posts
Reason I asked is that Magnesium as a wheel material hasn't been used since the Halibrand wheels of the early 60's, except for Indy Cars, F1, GT Prototype and Trans Am series cars. It is expensive, a pain to machine, tarnishes in a matter of hours, and brittle compared to aluminum. Just because the public called most aftermarket wheels "mags" doesn't mean that they were actually made of the stuff, it is just the lingo we used.

Your wheel looks like a common aluminum wheel sold by ET Enterprises in the 70's, my uncle has a set on his all original 30,000 mile '73 Monte Carlo, the only difference is that the background around the spokes is painted black and the flats of the spokes and rim edge are polished. He bought them new in the mid 70's and they have never seen snow and rarely rain. Now that you said they have been blasted it makes sense that the finish is different, and it even looks like your center caps say E/T on them in the pics.

These wheels didn't come in very many sizes or offsets/backspacing, and 8.5" deep dish style will be the widest you will probably find, and won't fit under the fenders of your TA because of this dish(remember airshocks in the 70's). Don't think I have ever seen another full set of these at a swap meet, you won't find them new as they haven't been made in 25+ years.

The variety of wheels today has spoiled us as far as sizes and offsets, it wasn't that way back in the day, there were only a few companies and styles and nothing wide over 8" fit under the fenders without flaring them or narrowing the axle.

·
More for Less Racer
20,943 Posts
Yes it does, I could tell it was a bold letter looking logo. The fat "S" was the logo of Superior Wheels, another of the common 70's aluminumn wheel manufacturers like Cragar, Appliance, Fenton, Ansen, Western, ET,American, etc. They are for sure cast aluminum and not magnesium.

·
It's a Chrysler, not a Ford
38 Posts
I've seen the fat "S" on the wall when I worked at Superior Industries, they ain't dead just getting by making OEM Wheels for the big three. I worked for Superior up until the big three declared bankruptcy now Superior is crawling with only one shift. But that's another story. I found this link about old wheels, it's pretty good take a look.
http://www.roadsters.com/wheels/
It talks about mag and aluminum wheels and the effects of being old.

Jim

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Jim, I've read that one before it a good read. Unfortunately there isn't very much information on the web regarding vintage mags and aluminum wheels. That page is probably the only good one I've found. I love that one mag about 3/4 of the way down the page with the red backdrop, the kidney bean style, kinda like old halibrands but without the little ridge around the openings. I'd love to have a set of those. Well, thanks for the response.

·
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty
13,765 Posts
ericnova72 said:
Yes it does, I could tell it was a bold letter looking logo. The fat "S" was the logo of Superior Wheels, another of the common 70's aluminumn wheel manufacturers like Cragar, Appliance, Fenton, Ansen, Western, ET,American, etc. They are for sure cast aluminum and not magnesium.
Man eric, I was thinking western wheels, Then you gave me a flash back showing all these old brands, Thank you. :D Cole

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.