Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Directionally you can't build a hotrod with them but you sure can mess one up without them! I've rescued "wayward" bolts from under my intake manifold with them. Even used them to thread the dreaded rear most transmission pan bolt partially obscured by the crossmember on my TA's Turbo 400. I keep one in my tool bag on track days as well. Telescoping, flexible aluminum shaft, and pocket versions are mainstays on my workbench. Anyone have interesting stories to share on how they've used these "lifesaving" tools to save the day?

·
Administrator
8,473 Posts
Dropped a bolt that landed inside the back of the water pump pulley on a Mercedes today:unsure: couldnt put a finger on it.
Fished it out with a magnet. Great tool to have for sure

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have a couple that the magnet is mounted on the end of a long bendable aluminum wire. It is very handy for more than picking up dropped fasteners. I sometimes feed it into places and tape wires to it and use it to pull wiring through confined places.

·
Gotta love a turbo!
2,734 Posts
I have several. Come in handy on the Tbird every so often, but not so much on the daily since every other part is plastic. :rolleyes:
Or stainless. I lost a SS screw down my garbage disposal and managed to fish it out with a pair on long handled needle-nose pliers. I used to have an 18" long spring-claw grabber but it's MIA...

Russ

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yeah ... just don't think it will save you if you put a bore brush at the end of a drill.
Also dont put a bore brush in the hole more than halfway in something you just rebuilt.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts