Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
poncho62 said:
We have been adding ethanol over here for years.....What is the percentage?
The general opinion at the moment is that 5% would be OK, but this delivery may have much more. It is damaging the engine sensors and the cost to owners for breakdown recovery+repairs is over $1,000. The garages are running out of sensors, there are not enough left in the country to keep up with demand.

·
Registered
5,391 Posts
This is one of the reasons when I am in the UK on my yearly visit to a daughter I always try to hire a diesel from the rental companies.

I'd be surprised if 5 to 15% ethanol would cause that problem - most sensors are "world" components and cause little or no problems in the US or elsewhere. There are other nasties that oil companies like to use that may need explanation.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The latest theory is Silicones in the fuel This is added to stop foaming and they think a batch may be contaminated. The fuel retailers are still saying they are not to blame, but the problem is widespread. The tests being carried out won't be availabe until tomorrow.

The thing which strikes me is the cost difference in the Sensor replacement, although it is a common component, the cost varies according to the car maker, it ranges from around £150 to over £1,000 on a Merc.

·
Registered
5,391 Posts
mosstrooper said:
The thing which strikes me is the cost difference in the Sensor replacement, although it is a common component, the cost varies according to the car maker, it ranges from around £150 to over £1,000 on a Merc.
For an O2 sensor that in the US would be USD30 to 100.

I know prices in the UK are more than high but USD300 to 2000 is ludicrous. Even adding installation (figured on a 1 sterling = 2 USD at current rates)

Rock Auto Parts lists an O2 sensor for an '05 M-B E320 for between USD 84 and 169. A run of the mill '05 Ford is USD 35 to 70.

NSRA UK have also made some minimal mention of this as well.

(Little wonder why my daughter and family are living just above the poverty level in the UK)

Dave

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Irelands child said:
(Little wonder why my daughter and family are living just above the poverty level in the UK)

Dave
I'm below the poverty line myself, the Butler is poor, the Servants are poor and only last week we had to let two of the Gardners go.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
An update on the Fuel.

The Supermarkets have now admitted the Fuel was contaminated with Silicones. It appears that a Tanker had carried a cargo of Silicones and filled up with 25Million Liters of Unleaded Petrol without cleaning the tanks.

This Fuel was unloaded in the south of England and delivered to over 250 Supermarket filling stations. The cars which filled up with this fuel immediately broke down, sometimes not getting off the forecourt of the filling station. The Supermarkets knew about the problem 2 weeks before it became public knowledge, but said nothing.

They now have stopped selling the contaminated fuel and say they will drain the Forecourt tanks and refill with clean fuel. To my mind this is the same as was done in the first place, putting clean fuel in a contaminated tank, but I'm no expert. They now face legal claims running into Millions for damage to cars.

As usual, this has thrown up some unusual facts which are hard to explain. Ford and Japanese cars were not affected by the fuel. Does this mean that the Sensors in those cars are of a higher quality, or more likely, don't actually work at all?

·
Registered
187 Posts
mosstrooper said:
As usual, this has thrown up some unusual facts which are hard to explain. Ford and Japanese cars were not affected by the fuel. Does this mean that the Sensors in those cars are of a higher quality, or more likely, don't actually work at all?
It would almost be funny if they weren't working. I have often thought that some of the crap crowding modern engine bays was just useless.

·
Registered
6 Posts
silicon and gasoline really stink.

Funny thing is I think something funny goes on when you mix silicon with gasoline. Recently I washed out some paintbrushes used for silicon paint in Benzin paint cleaner which is gasoline. I left the brushes in the jam jar and forgot aboutthem. About two weeks later we though we had a dead animal in the house, there was a terrible stink in the whole house. Turns out the silcon-gasoline mix stank like a dead corpse!
Why?

Ed

·
bentwings
2,608 Posts
Here in the states in the mid west especially we have E-85 which is 85 % ethanol 15% gas. The newer cars are made to run on this seamlessly with "standard" gas. It has very high octane rating and works well except that the mileage is not as good as regular gas so the $.50 cost savings is about a wash. It does no harm to the newer cars.

·
Registered
6 Posts
bentwings said:
Here in the states in the mid west especially we have E-85 which is 85 % ethanol 15% gas. The newer cars are made to run on this seamlessly with "standard" gas. It has very high octane rating and works well except that the mileage is not as good as regular gas so the $.50 cost savings is about a wash. It does no harm to the newer cars.
Ethanol is pretty harmless in small quantities. Even an older car can be modified to run on E85. (We have it in Europe too. It's big in Sweden).

But Silicons aren't good for cars. Anyone know why?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.