Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

i have a 1986 chevy K10 that squeals a lot when i start her up. i think that its related to the belt that goes from the crank to the water pump to the alternator. there is only about 1/4 of the water pump pully touching the belt. could this be that reason for the squeal?

the first picture is my setup. the second one is a similar setup that shows how the belt goes around the water pump.

Attachments

·
Huge Guns N Roses Fan
609 Posts
could be your belt or power steering pump or lack of power steering fluid. you can get you a can of 'belt spray' and spray the belt to see if you notice a difference..

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
Pull your alt,water pump belt and start the engine.
If the squeal is gone shut off engine then do 1 if still there go to 2
1. Turn your alt and water pump to see if your bearings are good. If they are check for misalignment.
1a if bearings are found to be bad replace item.
1b if misalignment found realign
1c If clutch fan is installed check bearings
1d if both a, b, and c are good replace belt and go to 3 after doing 2.

2 Remove belt from power steering pump and start engine
If squeal is gone shut off engine do 2. If squeal still there go to 3
2. Turn your power steering pulley to check for play also check for any signs of fluid leaks or low fluid. Check for belt misalignment
2a if bearings are found to be bad replace item.
2b if misalignment found realign
2c if both a and b are good replace belt and go to 3.

3 With engine off check balancer pulley for signs of damage, misalignment, or wear to pulley edges where the belt would have ridden up.
Turn engine to top dead center and check alignment of timing mark on balancer(more of a 2 piece balancer thing).
If all good install belts and go to 4

4. With someone down by starter/lower rocker (no need to be under car) and wheels blocked in neutral start engine. Having them listen for squeal. If squeal is heard pull starter and inspect starter ring for damage or wear.
If no wear is found turn engine over by hand checking to see if the starter ring has moved or flywheel has flexed.
Inspect starter teeth and then have starter tested for sticking actuator.
If all good then I would look at things such as piliot bearing or bearings in general that may not be getting lubrication at startup.

More then likely it is just a belt.

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
X2 with Cerial's last sentence. If the alternator pulley is discolored on the outside where the belt rides, then it's slipping. The discoloration would be due to heat from the belt slipping.

If I were you, then my plan of attack would be to grab two new quality belts - Dayco Top Cog or Goodyear Gator Back, pop off the belts and make sure the components, including the water pump, spin freely with no grinding feeling or noise. Install the new belts and save the old ones for spares.

Every manufacturer went away from V-belts for a reason - the don't last long and require maintenance (inspection and tightening). Also, all belts are not the same. The low budget ones are just that - low budget, cheap, usually Chinesium, not designed to last for more than the 90 day warranty.

·
Registered
5,640 Posts
X3...
You can see it's the belt.
It sits too deep in the pulley grooves.
Not enough contact area.
Try a wider one.

·
Registered
17,613 Posts
How do i determine what the correct belt angle is, there are 40, 38, 36? and also, is the coged better than a wrapped version?
I have never needed to know this, but I can tell you how I would determine it if I had to. I'd put a floor jack under the differential and jack the rear of the car up until I could place an angle finder across the rims of the pulley and read "zero". Then I'd lay the angle finder on the inside of the pulley, on one of the faces and read the angle.......
https://www.amazon.com/Johnson-Leve...8&qid=1495412898&sr=8-8&keywords=angle+finder

Use a cogged belt where you have to wrap around a very small diameter pulley, like 2" diameter. You will not need a cogged belt.

·
Collector of "someday" cars
2,438 Posts
Try the Goodyear Gatorback belts for your truck. BTW I would find the rest of the brackets for the power steering pump.
Yep and the pump may be wobbling.
You don't need 2 belts on the PS pump either. Originally, one of those belts may have gone up to a left hand mount A/C compressor. Unless they are a matched length pair, one of them will be traveling at a different speed and slipping. Yours appear to be unmatched as one is deeper in the pulley than the other. IF one is still good, you can try it as a single, but I would get a new PS belt also.
As Techinspector noted, the alt belt is already trash. And others have mentioned NOT getting cheap belts. They are more like rubber bands than belts. You can usually stretch them to the end of the adjustment slot and STILL never get them to stay tight.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts