Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I have a 74 Porsche 914 ( just got it painted black) with a SBC (350 pre 86 using edelbrock port injection) and a built 930 transmission, I would like an engine that will spin up to 8k. Do any of you know the details of building a 302 CID. I am open to suggestion you might have using other engines (327 ?). The 350 runs well but I think a package that likes to run a higher rpm might work out better in the long run. You tube video Your tube Video of V8, 914
John

·
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel
5,627 Posts
At 8k you should definitely use a 4-bolt block, but otherwise you're looking at putting a [forged] 283 crank into a 350 block. Bare minimum of forged (preferably non-twist) crank, forged I-beam rods, forged pistons, and solid lifters. I've seen 8k small blocks running hydraulic lifters, but its not common.

Something else to consider... a 321 built with a custom 3" stroke (large journal) crank in a 400 block.

·
Registered
639 Posts
A 283 is small journal and a 350 is large. Better to run a sj 327 block and 283 crank which are all forged - at least the ones we saw here were. Small journal cranks in LJ blocks require bearing spacers which gets ugly in terms of heat transfer.
If your driveline is marginal - like most porsches then by all means build a 'revvy' low torque engine, but do the maths, you may find a 327 at 7 grand will smack that 914, and give you plenty of roadspeed.

·
Banned
1,680 Posts
IanRiordan said:
A 283 is small journal and a 350 is large. Better to run a sj 327 block and 283 crank which are all forged - at least the ones we saw here were. Small journal cranks in LJ blocks require bearing spacers which gets ugly in terms of heat transfer.

We build a few circle track engines using 283 mains in a 350 block and Honda rod journals and as far as I know no one is using bearing spacers when Clevite makes a bearing for that application P/N MS-1110-H

I would go to a 350 block as it has better webbing then the old small journal blocks a block with center caps that say 2482 on them would be a good choice.

And we have installed splayed caps on the old 327 blocks on the ones that the cylinders sonic tested good.

·
Registered
639 Posts
My sj 327 has splayed bolt caps but they are unlike any others I've seen- more like a half moon in shape, unlike the stepped summers bros and milodon ones in common use here.
Is the clevite part a thick wall like the trw 400 main/350crank one piece bearing?
Ian.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts