Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.

I figure I am low on money right now, but whats the point of sitting still, so here we go. I would like to make up an exhaust diagram, one which I could take to a shop and have them make.

I will eventually have a 350 Chevy block with headers under the hood, the car is 1986 Grand Prix. Right now however, it has a 3.8L with stock manifolds. Is there a way I could figure out where the Headers will end up after its all installed? Or would it be better to work backwards from the tailpipes?

How much space must I leave between gas/break/electrical lines?

When the pipes go over the rear axel, am I safest to take the pipe thats on there now, and duplicate the dimensions and angle of the bend for the new one? Which other ways of making sure there will be adaquate clearance are there?

Is getting a X pipe before hand and building to that safer than trying to find an X pipe to fit the exhaust?

Right now, the muffler lays with the wide part up and down, between the tank and rear axle. If I am using a dual setup, can mufflers go underside the floorboards in the rear? What should the lowest point of the car be? I am thinking the front bump skirt, but correct me if I am wrong.

I know it is alot of questions, but it would be a great help. Thank you for any info.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Take it to the shop put it up on the hoist,then both of you talk about what would work,bringing a drawing is not gonna cut it. Just my opinion. :pimp:

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
I agree. Guys who fabricate exhausts are usually hands-on mechanics, and they don't relate well to drawings. They just want to put it up on the rack and look at it.

You might use a scale drawing to get some price estimates on pipe, and discuss alternatives (H pipe vs. X pipe), but they will always want to also take a look at it on the hoist.

Bruce

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fair enough. Too bad, I was kind of looking forward to being able to do something.

Thanks guys.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts