Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Acoustic Rock ... for real.
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm starting to work on my interior now.
:D

I'll be putting new door windows and chanels, etc. this week, so today I was messin' around ... took the interior window molding off and started thinking about the new door panels.

The moldings sit very tightly against the metal framing of the door, so I'm wondering how to deal with the panels. If I use 1/8" plywood and cover that with foam and vinyl, I guess it AIN'T gonna go UNDER the window molding, right?

So what's the procedure? Install the window molding and then make my panel to butt right up against it?

KristKustoms? You there, bro'?
Are there other alternatives?

I believe I'm gonna cover the window moldings with vinyl, too.

Alan
<a href="http://AlanHorvath.com/54chevy/" target="_blank">54 Chevy Pickup</a>

2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, guys.

I'm gonna do all the upholstery myself. Hadn't thought about backing off an inch -- cool idea! Thanks, Willys36.

"Interior Board?" ... hmmm ... how thick was that, Zonk?

2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Will do, Dutchman.

I'll be posting my usual "daily-diary & photos" at my site showing what I do, step by step.

I put the felt window channels in today -- NICE difference! The old channels were completely void of felt and my windows were binding when I rolled 'em down ... now they work great and are air tight. The outer rubber strips at the bottom of the windows were all gone (dried and busted) except for the bit that rides in the channel -- I had to chisel those out! What a bear that was! Sure feels good having new rubber there. Then, the inner felt strips at the bottom of the windows were also all gone .. I removed those with nippers and won't put the new ones on until I cover the molding with vinyl.

Alan
54 Chevy Pickup

2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
You da man, Shawn!

Why is it that the BEST way of doing something always conjers up the ol' "Of course! Why didn't I think of that!!?" response?

THAT'S how I'll do it -- thanks a million!

PS, Shawn -- Re: the Garnish molding ... I've got a steel frame that goes all the way around my door window ... it's a good inch wide, and is screwed in place. I want to cover it with vinyl -- would you do the foam and vinyl on such a piece, or just vinyl alone? I'm thinking just vinyl alone.

Alan
54 Chevy Pickup

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.