Hot Rod Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,453 Posts
horvath said:
LOL! I was picturing tiny things ...

So, you're talking about covering the inside of the door with plastic before attaching the door panel, right?

Alan
54 Chevy Pickup
No, it's more like putting a shower curtain in each hole. tape the plastic at the top of the hole, cut to the width of the hole, and tuck it inside the door on the bottom. This will prevent the water from ever getting inside the door inner skin. Older cars did it this way. Modern cars just slap on a piece of reinforced tar paper and hope for the best.

·
Acoustic Rock ... for real.
1,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Ah-haa! That sure makes good sense ... and I like the name "shower curtain!"
:mwink:
Tape the top on the inside ... tuck the bottom through to the outside -- got it.

Thanks, bro'!

Alan
54 Chevy Pickup

·
First name...............Shawn
631 Posts
Zonk,

Ive posted about this stuff before, its the exact same size and thickness as the black board that you are familiar with, where as the black board will warp (in my experience, i know it does) and the tan will not. I saw the stuff at a industry-only trade show in one of my suppliers booths. They had two kiddie pools, both filled with water, one had a panel of the black and one had a panel of the tan, both submerged in the water. It was a 3 day trade show, and i was there on the last day. They said they put both the tan and black boards in the pools the opening morning of the show, and left them in there the remainder of the weekend. When i saw it on sunday, the black was a wrinkled and splitting mess, and the tan was honestly still flat. I have never used the black since.

·
Slider in Wa.
700 Posts
Horvath!!!

You know thereare after market panels and original replace types for your truck. Check LMC, Pickup NW, Brother`s, etc.
Slider in Wa.

·
1,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Hey, Slider

Yeah ... I've seen 'em. I prefer making my own original designs -- interiors are my biggest passion about all this stuff ... aside from driving them!

Alan
54 Chevy Pickup

·
1,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Hey, Marc

Sure do! I haven't dreamed 'em up yet, but I'm planning on 2 colors of vinyl -- a redish, darkish wine color (like the truck body) and a creamy buckskin/tan color.

Any cool ideas for designs?

Alan
54 Chevy Pickup

·
Registered
175 Posts
Hey Alan,

This may sound a bit on the tacky side (depending on your taste), but since you are a musician and play acoustic, have you ever thought of putting an acoustic guitar and some how blending in the chevy bow tie? Even if you just wanted a subtle look, you could easily use the raised vinyl technique. I have this vision in my head of the guitar with the bowtie, if you're curious I could draw it up for you and post it in here for to check out.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Yep, I've been getting addicted to this site, plus I work until midnight throughout the week, so it's a good place to relax afterwards....:)

·
Registered
175 Posts
Ok Alan,

Here is a rough idea of what I was thinking of (notice I said rough). There are two pics, one is embossed version to kind a give you an idea of what it would look like under vinyl (don't be scared of it, it needs to be cleaned up still:)). The other is the version before I embossed it. They would have looked cleaner if I had a scaner('cause then I could have drew it on paper).

Ok, looks like I'm going to email them to you 'cause I can't figure out how to post pics off my computer:(

Ohh, look, I just discovered how to do it:)

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Have you thought about "Rod Doors" products? They're vacuum formed plastic and come in several designs. They have a "kit" for your truck that will wrap around behind the seat as well as cover the doors. You fit them and glue your choice of fabric to them.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts