Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I was wondering what you all thought of making a slapper out of a piece of flat bar that is about 1/8" thick, and about 3" wide. If I hardened and dressed this, do you think it would make a good slapper? I don't really have any old car springs lying around, but I do have a lot of flat bar. Thanks for the replies.

Ben

·
Administrator
18,400 Posts
I wouldn't want to slapped with one................. :D

They are not that expensive to buy, are they?...or are you looking for a certain shape?

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I heard the ones that you make on your own are better. I guess it wouldnt have much of a curve though unless it was heated and bent.

·
Hotrodders.com moderator
9,581 Posts
Should work fine..and if you make your own you develop a good skill..and you can make some different sizes as you need them..using regular flat bar I would think of putting a rib down the backside as that material is a bit softer than spring steel..

Sam

·
Registered
38 Posts
I used the shortest leaf out of a leaf spring pack. I havent used it for a lot of metal shaping but I was told that is how some old timers did it.

·
Registered
425 Posts
The problem is that springs are made from spring steel while flat bar is cold rolled steel. Back to making a silk purse out of a sow's ear if you've heard of that expression. The soft steel simply gets really hot and not much else when heated because it lacks the necessary amount of carbon and other elements to actually become hardened. You could increase the thickness of the bar stock or use rectangular tubing for more strength, but at this point it just makes more sense to use the proper stuff for the slapper bars.

·
Registered
5,920 Posts
Lust is right you can't make spring steel out of mild steel and it will stay soft and easy to bend, either buy one or make it from a leaf spring.

·
Hotrodders.com moderator
9,581 Posts
Hey guys... we make slappers out of hardwood with leather facings and the softer material in a slapper does not work the metal as much which we want in some cases..absolutely no reason to make a slapper out of anything other than what one has on hand..

Sam

·
Registered
5,920 Posts
OMT. That makes sense, I was thinking about bending the thing but you are right unless someone is really abusing it or using it for a pry bar then spring steel should not be necessary.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts