Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
From the middle of the world
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone knows what kind of fuel or substance can be used to make exhaust flames visible in the daytime (awsome at nigth I guess) you know the old trick of flaming exhaust pipes but the flames can't be clearly seen, I belive that injecting kerosine or diesel would make only smoke and that would be embarrasing, if air needs to be injected that would be not much of a problem.

please comment.

Augusto.

·
Premium Member
6,623 Posts
Do a search on "exhaust flames" and you will find all kinds of information.

Sounds like what you want to do is against the law in every country I know of for very good reasons, I would not be looking to inject any kind of fuel into the exhaust stream just to make a flame come out of your exhaust pipe.

Wouldn't want to become a crispy critter and start a fire would ya? Just because you seen it in a movie doesn't make it smart or wise to attempt on a regular basis on the street with other people around.

"Forget the concept" is my advice, I would rather see you live a long life then spend one minute in a burn ward...you might want to visit one just to see what kind of pain exists there before you think about doing what you want to do.

Make the car perform better and leave the light show for the burn ward wannabe's, this is hotrodders.com not dumbteenager_look_at_me_tricks.com.

;)

·
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
don't worry I'm not a pyromaniac or have suicidal ideas, it's just for a show go-kart that would look awsome accelarating with flames behind.

seems like there is plenty of info in the web, I just tougth some guys here would of had experience with this gizmos.

thanks.

Augusto.

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
ed the outlaw jones

check out ed the outlaw jones. He built a couple wheel staanding exibition dragsters. they run only on controled tracks with spectators behind a chain link fence One of his sponsors is a candy company and he has a special mix that shows a lot of fire and leaves a candy smell down the track. flame throwere are NOT for street use.

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
Flame throwers are pretty cool.. Syracuse Nationals has a flamethrower show on Sat night every year.. the cars have special exhaust tips that have kerosene pumped up to them ( some use propane but produce smaller flame ), and with thermocouple ignitors and a pilot light like you find on a small heating stove.. the setups are for show only and are removable... when fired off, they will produce flames 25-50' high and the rear of the cars have heat blankets strapped to the trunk lids.... all in all, you would severely burn if it was on the back of a go-kart

·
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
matt167 said:
all in all, you would severely burn if it was on the back of a go-kart
actually my idea is pointing the flames BACKWARDS :D

and about 3 ft long flames would be more than adequate

hey Jay Leno drives around town a JET powered motorcycle and he told once that he melted a car's bumper that stopped behind too close to him in a trafic ligth..lol lol.

Augusto.

·
Registered
17,613 Posts
DISCLAIMER: The following link and text is for information regarding colored flames. The chemical reactions generated could have potentially harmful or fatal reactions. The use of them in experimental applications is neither advised nor recommended by techinspector1 or Hotrodders.com and is published here for educational purposes only.

Several years ago, I researched how to make different colored flames in a fireplace. Here is an article I found that lists the different colors from different elements. There is at least one missing from this list, Strontium, which produces a bright red flame. Methanol injected into a pipe will produce a beautiful blue flame at night, but is not visible in daylight.
http://hsb.iitm.ac.in/~jm/ARCHIVES/Nov-Dec03/articles_files/exptoftheissue.html

·
My pipes are my music
2,936 Posts
I've seen a guy at the frog follies street rod show in Evansville In. that had flame coming out of his 3" megaphone exhaust tips and followed him to where he parked it.
His "system" consisted of a LP tank in the trunk, lines running to each exhaust tip connected to a small BBQ burner. He lit it with a BBQ lighter and shut it off by raising the trunk lid and shutting off the valve on the tank.
Unfortunately, your Go-kart doesn't have a trunk. :cool:

·
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks guys I think I have good info now, I specially liked techinspector's guide to coloring flames.

I already found how to build the ignition coil driver to power the spark plug, it's quite easy and uses cheap electronics like a 555 timer chip, if anyone wants info on it just let me know.

Augusto.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts