Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
just a kid and his truck
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a question about compatibility and use of Mallory MAA-6148201. It is computer controllable and says it requires an ignition box. My question is, can i use this Distributor on a carbed motor with an MSD 6al box or Mallory box and remote coil. I ask because later on I plan on going to EFI and will need a distributor that is computer controllable, I was planning on running an ignition box no mater what, mainly I'm asking to see if i can get this distributor and use it for any application so I don't have buy another one down the road.

·
Some Punk Kid
786 Posts
The MSD6 boxes dont tell the distributor when to fire they only add sparks from the original signal. I don't know about the triggering on the distributor. Is that a crank trigger distributor?
But I am pretty sure the MSD6 is a standalone multi spark box/rev limiter and nothing more.
Hopefully somebody can give you an exact answer about that distributor.

·
just a kid and his truck
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i did some more looking and figured it out, I cant use that dist. with a carb motor, it needs the computer to tell it when and what to do, thanks for the help any ways

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
the MSD cannot advance/ retard the timing. because your Mallory distributor works with EFI, it has no advance built in, a MSD will only fire on what is there, which would be base timing. you could use an advance/ retard controller, to advance/ retard up to 20*, but that would only be good on a race motor, because it is only altering the base timing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.