Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one had any experience with either of these HEI distributors? Good, Bad, Ugly??

·
Time is short, are you ready?
655 Posts
acr said:
Any one had any experience with either of these HEI distributors? Good, Bad, Ugly??
I can't weigh in on the latter, but I can say the Mallory is a very nice piece for the price. I pulled the module and advance components out to convert to a Hall Effect sensor for my fuel injection, but the billet shaft is very high quality. I'll give the Mallory the :thumbup: Ed www.edgesz28.com

·
Registered
297 Posts
Your cost may be about the same, if you do not have a GM distributor already. I have a GM HEI with Pertronix internals/upgrade kit. Pertronix claims that this is good for up to 7500 RPM's, of which my motor will never see. It ran great.

The Mallory HEI is an excellent piece, but it's fallback is the coil that comes with it. It is only good for up to 5500 rpms.

I went to a Mallory Hyfire VIa digital ignition and I kept the Pertronix coil. It removes the Pertronix module. I have it mounted on the inside of the glove box door, and removed the glove box, to keep air circulation on it. Awesome up to 6200 rpms, my limit. I wired it up in the event of a dead digital box, I just put the module back in, and plug my orig wires back in.

I want to get the Mallory distributor, just because it is such a nice piece, and keep the Pertronix coil, just so that it LOOKS stock. But, it is about 3rd on the priority list right now, so it will have to wait for a while.

·
Premium Member
2,370 Posts
I have always found the stock GM HEI coil incap setup to be more than enough to sustain any engine I've worked with.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts