Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes boys & girls, the government is once again stepping into the fray of saving us from ourselves!
The newest technology to come down the pike....Traction control the supposed 'Savior of crashes' will now be "standard equipment" on all our new cars by 2012. You would think all us drivers are utter morons.....but the 'statistics prove it!'.
Just how far can technology "save" us from poor decisions??? It would seem technology can extend very far into the lives of the driving public.....recall "Its' a prviledge not a right". So the powers to be are at it again...& expect further intrusion as your car will soon be making more & more decisions for us....and they will soon report to government "officials" of our improper/illegal actions via Onstar or some such "approved" monitoring systems.
Is it just me or am I just paranoid that Big brother is creeping into our cars?
One of our sanctuaries away from the hustling world is slowly being corrupted.
______________________________________________Rick..........

·
Administrator
18,400 Posts
That..........and ONSTAR.................. :D

I like the NHRA system of traction control.........Big smokey burnout so the tires get sticky and stick real good..........................

·
Grillin Randy
550 Posts
And every time it gets slick all the vehicles with the mandatory traction control will join all the 4X4s in the ditch since the drivers will be overconfident. "I have traction control, I can drive just like it is dry pavement."

·
Registered
285 Posts
New cars are way to complex already. This traction control crap will just add to the cost of repairs and maintenance. In all honesty though I don't know what it is exactly and how it works.

As far as gov regulation is concerned: I think that airbags are a good thing, so some government intrusion is necessary to counter the auto industry propaganda. Had they started installing these things in cars way back when, before mandatory regulations kicked in, it would have been a win/win situation. The car companies could have touted airbags as life saving devices and made them optional equipment.

Without some gov interference, we would all be at the mercy of the lowest common denominator.

But this is why I ride an 04 Harley with a carb and drive a 62 Chevy. I like simple things that I can wrench on myself.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts