Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
I smell like a hotrod!
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I have read through a few of the forums, but I still have a couple of quick questions. I have a 350, and I am changing out the intake(with a used one no instructions). I will be using permetex instead of the end seals.

I am being told to put permetex around the holes the water runs through. I am sure I can tell which ones they are by the corrosion in them, but does anyone know which ones they are?

Second question... Should I just run a bead of permetex around those hole?

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

·
"May the Schwartz be with you"
1,053 Posts
The water ports are the ones at each corner (4) of the intake. I usually use a blue silicone on these...has never failed me yet.

·
Registered
10,928 Posts
I would not use anything on those ports, all that is needed is a quality gasket. GM never used anything on them. The silicone will work great as the end gasket however. Let it sit for a while after you lay a bead down. You want it to start to set up before you place the intake on.

Vince

·
I smell like a hotrod!
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, the drawing really helped. The hardest part was setting up the 3 wire alt. After looking at a couple ways to hook them up the easiest seemed to be running the excitor wire to both tabs (the 1 plug) and then basically hooking it up as a one wire. I have a friend who has been running this setup for many years now.

·
"May the Schwartz be with you"
1,053 Posts
302/Z28 said:
I would not use anything on those ports, all that is needed is a quality gasket. GM never used anything on them. The silicone will work great as the end gasket however. Let it sit for a while after you lay a bead down. You want it to start to set up before you place the intake on.

Vince
I agree except for age begets imperfections. I have found that a very thin layer of blue around the water ports keeps the unlikely from happening.

Must remember to torque the bolts in even increments also.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts