Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am sure everyone has heard or read the countless threads on glowing headers, Yes I have the same problem. The cylinder closest to the fire wall on the passenger side( I think it is cylinder number 8). I believe that mine is glowing due to an exhaust manifold leak. I saw some exhaust fumes coming out from around the gasket when I started it this morning(it was around 50 out so I was able to see the fumes for a moment. The bolts are tightened down pretty good, so I am imagining that the manifold is slightly bent or twisted? Either way whats the best way of fixing this problem besides replacing the headers? I was thinking putting another gasket on the last cylinder,which is the one that is leaking. I have those gaskets that are for singular manifold(rather than using one big one you can use four single ones). Also would anyone know about how much pressure is in a tranny line from a powerglide to the radiator? I want to replace the steel tube as one of the two got kinked yesterday when I was messing around.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Throw the gasket in the trash and use Aluminum RTV or Copper RTV silicone sealant.

I throw brand new header gaskets in the trash all the time....I only use RTV. Never had a leak using it. Always had leaks using gaskets.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.