Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings, I am wondering what the thoughts are on using a plenum turtle. I have a 500+ hp 383 sbc with a victor junior and brodix turtle jb welded into the plenum. I have never run the combination without it. I also made a tapered 4 hole space 1" thick phenolic material. Combo: 11.5 c.r. 383, 6" rod, 825 mighty demon, ported edelbrock heads with 2.05" intake valves, cam [email protected] .565"lift ex. [email protected] 050 .585" ex. The motor come on strong about 3000 rpm with a strong pull at 5000 lasting til 7000. But, I wonder if the turtle is just taking plenum space...

·
Registered
9 Posts
assuming it is a brodix turtle, they were designed for their hvh line of intakes which are deep plenum, almost like a single carb tunnel ram. large plenums usally pool the fuel at lower rpm . i had one in a hvh 1o1 dominator flange intake worked well

·
Technical Support Barry Grant
1,500 Posts
Turtle?

The turtles help to increase the air velocity, and bottom end torque. If you're already running a 4-hole spacer, you may want to try running without it first, or even an open spacer before removing the turtle. If the car doesnt' react well to taking the spacer out, it probably won't react well to removing the turtle.

·
The Smell of Nitro in the morn
2,411 Posts
DITTO with the above 2 postings.
The smaller the plenum area will work better for the larger carb.
FYI, Phenolic spacers like to break the carb mounting tabs off if over-tightened. Never found a flat one yet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts