Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When a transmission company advertises Manual/Automatic valve body does that merely mean that it is not soley operated manually? Is it basically the same as my transmission which has the B&M shift kit in it? Mine shifts okay manually, but not right as I shift. There is a little lag although it shifts hard when it does.

Do the big automatic transmission company's products shift right when you manually expect them to better than your average shift kit set-up?

·
Administrator
9,765 Posts
surfshark said:
When a transmission company advertises Manual/Automatic valve body does that merely mean that it is not soley operated manually? Is it basically the same as my transmission which has the B&M shift kit in it? Mine shifts okay manually, but not right as I shift. There is a little lag although it shifts hard when it does.

Do the big automatic transmission company's products shift right when you manually expect them to better than your average shift kit set-up?

manual / automatic means you can manually down shift to a lower gear at any time. It also means you can hold a selected gear for as high of RPM you wish.

The tranny will upshift & down shift normally as an automatic....You can NOT force the trans to upshift earlier than the road speed & governor/vacuum modulator ( if trans has one) inputs will allow....... Your B&M shift improver kit may modify the trans to operate this way

Full manual valve body indicates that if you put the tranny into 2nd gear while the vehicle is stopped...... the tranny is in 2nd gear. NO automatic shifts up or down.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Crosley said:
You can NOT force the trans to upshift earlier than the road speed & governor/vacuum modulator ( if trans has one) inputs will allow....... Your B&M shift improver kit may modify the trans to operate this way

Thanks Crosley. This quote of your here is just what I was wondering about. On my trans, I sometimes shift it manually, but the trans seems to shift only when it is ready to, which isn't that long after I shift it. I guess this is a question that varies with every application, but do the Hughes street/strip transmissions, for example, shift quicker manually, or does that depend on gear and vacuum,etc? Sorry if I seem dense here, and thanks again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts