Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to lighten the front end of my street/strip car more by removing my powersteering. But I'm worried about turning with a manual steering box on the street. I have an 84 camaro, v8, a Grant gt steering wheel, which is 12-14" in diameter and I'm planning on running skinnies, probably 165 or 185. I won't have too much trouble turning at slow speeds would I?

·
Registered
257 Posts
It will likely be OK as long as the swap actually involves replacing the steering box with a manual unit. Little bit better ratio in addition to weight savings.

(a much better response than a couple of potential answers that first came to mind........like:

Man up and just do it :evil:

Back when I was young PS was for OLD people :pimp:

By the way my dailey driver for the last couple of months has been a 57 Plymouth with a Hemi, 4 Speed and manual steering. :thumbup:

·
Perfectionist Procrastinator
181 Posts
My Nova has manual steering. Occasionally I need to put the car in the garage for a bit and work on it, and would drive a friend's S10 or, more recently, a Volvo.

Anyway, I never really minded the manual steering in the Nova. You have to really put your shoulders into it when in parking lots or doing a three-point turn, but it isn't impossible. But, going from the Nova to a (more) modern car with power steering is, I must admit, quite nice.

Think of it this way. You won't be able to hold a drink in your hand while steering without power assist because you'll need both fists to grip the wheel :thumbup:

·
The Maintenance Geek
263 Posts
Arcuden said:
Think of it this way. You won't be able to hold a drink in your hand while steering without power assist because you'll need both fists to grip the wheel :thumbup:
Nah, if you're rolling, you'll be able to steer just fine, My
'63 F100 doesn't have power steering, it does have a 14"
steering wheel, and I can palm steer it in the parts store
parking lot...

K

·
Registered
639 Posts
I once drove a '66 cabover KW with an 8v71n and no p/s. Backing up to a loading bay I had to open the door and swing off the step to turn the wheel with both hands.
Prior to 1980 most cars here had manual steer, just turn the wheel. BTW, I 'spose your battery is already ine boot, your a/c gone and a whole lotta glass panels up front.

·
I need a bucket of arc sparks
895 Posts
You shouldn't have a problem steering it at all. I have a 67 F250 that has 31.50 X 15" tires on the front with manual steering and even my mom who is 61 can steer it fine at low speeds.

·
Registered
58 Posts
We have two Russiat truck's over here. I think they weight around 8000 lbs each and have a V8(aluminum) engine. It's a lot of work to steer them at low speeds. But hell yeah ... I'll get arm muscles (6)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.