Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

New to the forum. I am getting a parts list together for my latest project, a 32 ford 3 window street rod. It will be a daily driver for the most part, no show boat.
I was thinking of fitting it out with a 302, but since this is my first Ford project, I need some help with a tranny pick.

It needs to be a manual, have a hydrolic clutch, and something that I can cruise with.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dutch

·
Proud LOSER
2,185 Posts
Hello all,

New to the forum. I am getting a parts list together for my latest project, a 32 ford 3 window street rod. It will be a daily driver for the most part, no show boat.
I was thinking of fitting it out with a 302, but since this is my first Ford project, I need some help with a tranny pick.

It needs to be a manual, have a hydrolic clutch, and something that I can cruise with.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dutch
World Class T5 with a hydraulic conversion would be cheap, effective and reliable, the conversion ranges from 250$-$350 and a used T5 is generally cheap.

·
Registered
5,762 Posts
t 5

If you go with a Ford-mustang T 5 you will want to use a chevy S 10 shifter- housing It moves the shift handle foreward , mustang would be under your seat.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I found this Z spec tranny

On about 1993 Ford started offering a new service unit to the motorsport crowd. The "Z" spec T-5, also sometimes referred to as "World Class T-5". Most folks, associate the term "World Class" as meaning the best. The T-5z is a 93 Cobra T-5 with 2.95 first gear set and .63 over drive. It has the best of everything. Hardened gears, short throw shifter, steel front bearing retainer, and tapered output shaft bearing. Best of all it has a torque rating of 330ft/lbs. This T-5 can handle up to 450 hp if not drag raced.

I will also look into the Jeep shifter.

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
All transmissions use hardened gears for main and countershaft gears. The "World Class" designation is mostly the tapered bearings which allows it to carry a higher load, but also requires a little more attention to detail in assembly.

Most of the street rod T5s I see use a Non-World Class S10 mainshaft and tailhousing, with the V8 camaro gearset (2.95 1st) to make the shifter location more friendly, and to allow the use of the cable driven speedo. This is good for 300ft pds in a street rod situation as a daily driver. If you're going to be rough with it; it will probably bite you. If you go through someone who is intimately familiar with building these, they can mix and match a variety of components to make what you need. More than 400ft pds, Id go with a TKO, but their days are numbered.

Whichever you use, in regards to the hydraulics, you should try to use OEM hydraulics, the quality and lifespan of the aftermarket pieces is abysmal. A LOT of fitment issues, a LOT of reliability issues, and if you read the fine print on a lot of them, they're for off-road use, which means if you have a warranty issue, you won't have much of a leg to stand on with a daily driver

·
Registered
17,613 Posts
Hello all,

I might be thinkin' a simple 3-speed from a Ford pickup if this car will just be a cruiser and daily driver. I also might be thinkin' a Snow White shorty water pump kit to help make room for an engine-driven fan......
http://static.speedwaymotors.com/pdf/Shortie-Water-Pump-Installation-Instructions.pdf

1 - 7 of 7 Posts