Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys ive been looking around at some different manual transmissions and have been looking a lot at the TKO 600 but have heard that it doesn't shift well at high rpms (which can be a problem with a small journal 327 thats moderately upgraded), so I was just asking if anybody had any recommendations on a good transmission that shifts well at high rpms (i.e. 6000-8000 rpm) and i would somewhat prefer if it is under $3000, but i understand that you pay for what you get. here are my engine specs ( isn't built yet but are parts i am using once i'm ready to start reassembling it)
Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated, thank you.

small journal 327 block-30 over bore (4.030)
aluminum flo-tek heads
stock crank
stock connecting rods
comp-cams mutha' thumpr hydraulic flat tappet cam
comp-cams magnum lifters
comp-cams high energy pushrods
stock oil pan
stock volume oil pump
Edelbrock performer rpm air-gap intake manifold
Holley 4150 650cfm 4-barrel carb
I have a set of hooker headers that will go on motor once in truck

·
More for Less Racer
19,957 Posts
I hope you have had ARP rod bolts put in the rods, and had the rods re-sized, especially if you are chasing 8000 rpm. I would never trust 50 year old bolts with who knows how many cycles on them.

The Comp Mutha Dumber cam is not going to get you anywhere near 8000 rpm.... and it will be costing you HP you could be having if you actually chose a good cam instead of that hyped sound wanna-be stick.

You really should be looking at a solid lifter cam if you are serious about running above 6500 rpm....and it will make a bunch more power too.

If you are really going to run above 6500 rpm on a regular basis I would recommend a better oil pan than the stocker, something with a couple gates and a blade scraper in it, and you should consider a windage tray in there too.

The trans you'll want is probably a G-Force 5-speed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks ericanova72 i appreciate the tips. thanks for the advice with the cam, what kind would you recommend then of the solid lifter cams and what hydraulic lifter cam would you recommend if there is one just because this truck will be a daily driver and i don't always want to deal with setting lash but wouldn't mind it if i had to. also thanks for telling me about the geforce tranny i've seen it before but it is a little out of my price range but for the price of it i could always get a t56-super magnum for a bit less, what's your opinion on this in regards to high rpm shifting. Thanks i appreciate it

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
Talk to Jody Haag of Jody's Transmissions in Reading PA. Hes one of the best gearbox builders in the country. He reps the premier 4 & 5 speeds in the country.
A rebuilt Richmond direct drive 5 would hold up well, just lower your axle to the low 3's and be done. However, they take some work to shift fast. You could do a T5 with an Astro or G-Force gearset, but be mindful of the RPM drop in 5th. I also really like the Legend 700, which is essentially a T56 turned into a 5speed and stuffed in a more hot rod friendly box.
New production M22 Modular and M23 Modular gearboxes will routinely shift at your RPM envelope in road racing (SCCA A-Sedan 7 time champion Andy McDermid uses a spec M22 modular and outran John Heinricy with a "dog ring" 5speed by 20 seconds at Daytona).

Bellhousing alignment is VERY critical for your shift envelope. Less than .005" TIR is required. Yes REQUIRED.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks autogear i really like the legend 700, but that 4 grand price tag hurts but i might invest into it because of the max 7500 rpm witch is about perfect for a 327, but there's also the t56 which is a thousand less than the legend and also has a 2nd overdrive gear but i dont know what the max rpm it can handle, plus size doesnt matter to me because the transmission is going into a 66 chevy c10 so i have a larger transmission tunnel than most cars i think

1 - 5 of 5 Posts