Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay I have a question for some of you Ford guys out there. I am looking for some custom pulleys and brackets for a 351M/400. March pulleys has a new kit for the 351C. I have been told by my machine shop guy that the modified(M) and the cleveland (C) are almost identical with the exception of little bit beefier block on the "M". He says that the water pump and head hieght are the same and the bolt holes are the same. He also says that if you order March pulleys and you open the box that they will not take them back:pain: . So I must be sure that they are going to fit.
So here is the question, Will brackets and pulleys from a "C" fit on to a "M"? (the alternator, power steering bracket, water pump pulley, and the 4-bolt dampener pulley).

Second question. Will a saginaw power steering pump, which March shows with there power steering pump bracket, work with a Ford power steering gear on 1977 F-100?

Thanks

Greg:)

·
Registered
175 Posts
hmm

you kno... usually when someone makes an offer like that.. i go ahead and put my credit card down, open the box and send it back anyways, call the bank and tell em its their fault they sent the wrong part and you sent it back. they will decline the transaction..

hell - while your at it go ahead and drag one of theyre pretty little pulleys thru the rox...

holley is like that - lol it ticks me off.

lol you could prolly find a swapper from other chevy's

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
pulleys

Clevelands and M blocks are very similar with the exception of the deck height. They use the same water pumps, cams, heads, exhaust, and distributor. I am sure that they use the same pulleys as well.
The basic difference in the two is the Cleveland has a 9.2 inch deck height while the M block has a 10.3 inch deck height. The M block has larger mains as well. Like the guy said, if they dont fit, you can always send them back.

Your accessory bolt holes in the heads will be further away from the crank center than on a cleveland. however the frontal dimensions as far as spacing goes is the same. IE thickness of the timing cover, distance to the front of the water pump from the block, distance from block to front of the dampener face. So every thing should line up ok. You will need to get good belt measurements as your stock ones probably wont fit anymore. If you have problems with alignment of the alternator and power steering pump, you should be able to correct that with a little shimming, to match them up with the cleveland pullies.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.