Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So don't ask me why but I was watching wealth tv and this guy had this gnarly boat with 2 cammed out v8's. It looked like a regular gm big block with a chrome ram jet intakes. This guy was bragging about how each engine makes 500 hp and each engine cost $26k. So me being the person that I am looked up some youtube videos of the company he got them from and all the engine sizes are the same displacement size as over the road v8's. EG 350 454 502 etc...

What is the difference between a marine v8 engine and and over the road v8 engine? How could a 454 cost $26k?

·
Registered
9,050 Posts
Basic difference between marine and auto/truck engines is gaskets, camshaft, carb/injection, exhaust manifolds and distrib.

Factory Chevrolet marine engines are basic truck engines with the above changes.

Easy to spend that kind of money for custom built units. Depends on the depth of your wallet and height of your ego.

·
Registered
12,338 Posts
there is a different tune for the different applications. sometimes a marine application is treated as a severe application so quality parts are more expensive. example,severe duty stainless steel valves are used in some cases where extended time above 4,000 rpm is expected.

·
Registered
447 Posts
marine engines

Greetings, a marine engine has significant differrent power requirements than a passenger car, It deals with corrosion, It runs under tremendous load constantly at high RPM for hours at a time. Unlike a car or truck, that accelerates then cruises and also coasts at times, a Marine engine when running is under load non stop. This causes significant wear patterns. A cruiser with 300 hours may have the same wear as a car engine with 12000 miles. Gaskets have to be different because of corrsion issues, cams are designed for torque. Also due to the non linear forces in the hull of a boat, marine oiling systems usually had higher capacity pans with windage trays for oil control. They are more of an industrial designed engine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.