Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
72NOVA454
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Mark IV block from a 79 Chevy Truck. I have Mark IV heads from a 68-69 passenger car. I'm trying determine if my new Felpro 1037 Gasket will work properly for this application.

Please reference the attached photos.

My concern is this gasket does not have the coolant passages at the end. Look at the head and block. You will see (2) large coolant passages at each end. The Felpro 1037 gasket does not have the large passage, only the smaller one. This gasket says it is for Mark IV or Mark V, and says it is for performance/marine applications. Will this gasket work for my application? In the past I've used Felpro 1017-1 and 8180PT2 head gaskets.

Also, can anyone explain the path or water flow (series or parallel) through the block and into the head please. Thanks.

·
Registered
9,050 Posts
BBC engines have the large holes at various locations over the years. If you install the gaskets as they are, you will be correct.

I have customers that screw with the water restrictions and invariably they have heat problems. The Chevy factory guys kinda know what they are doing.

·
Registered
286 Posts
If you want it to cool paralell you will have to drill holes where the rust spots are at the bottom of the block. I think it's a more even way otherwise your rear cyl's run hotter but who am I? Same gasket I used and mine doesn't run above 170. Series cooling has cool coolant coming in the front of cyl's to rear then goes rear to front through heads. Paralell has cool water coming in front of block and exiting through those holes in the heads, sounds like a more even setup to me and my thinking is it probably works better or they wouldn't have changed it?

Pilot drill the block and drill about 1/2" holes in block. about 10 minutes work!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.