Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Dennis W. Parks
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you who buy automotive how-to books, which do you prefer, printed books or digital?

Also, what kinds of books (what topics) would you like to see more of?

Thanks,

Dennis W. Parks
Author of automotive how-to books

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
2,859 Posts
Printed. If I need to reference something that I am working with, I want to be able to hold that in my hand. Printing out theinfo would be ok but it just slows the process down for me. I can grab a book, bring it to a friend. I may be old fashioned but I believe if the printed word slowly disappears, books, magazines, newspapers, that I highly enjoy reading sitting at the breakfast bar, laying on the couch, sitting on the throne, it just isn't the same.

What would I like to see more of? Just for continued success with the topics covered today. I miss some of the science and mechanix mags, they were good reading.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
I'm with Dinger on this 100%, I have a sandpaper cabinet in my garage with all my important car books and anything i might print off of here, just can't get into reading a book on line, I have tried but it don't work, for me.
One of my formulations books, cost me around $780 a few years ago, I could get it on line for $250 but the book is over 700 pages and I have reread at least 15-20 times and it is easy to go to a section when you need help on a formulation problem, that book has been in more different motels with me then a $25 hooker has ever seen, never would have read it on line.

·
Hot Rods are Built, not Bought
829 Posts
I prefer printed books. I'm a Mechanical Engineer so I am always referring to codes and standards at work, given the option of digital or printed, I always choose printed.

·
www.generationhighoutput. com
897 Posts
Printed.

As far as topics, I'd love to see less things about engines we already know how to make power with (sbc, sbf, etc) and more books on other engines, but I mean you're talking about supply and demand. I doubt there's many people wanting a "how to make maximum performance with your 3.0L or 3.2L Yamaha vulcan-based SHO V6" book, haha. I'd buy a copy though. :sweat:

·
Hotrodders.com moderator
9,581 Posts
Something I would like to see is binding the book with the ring type binding so you can turn to the section you need to refer to and it lays flat on the bench..I know may be $$$$ to bind that way..

Sam

Reactions: tech69

·
Faith - Respect - Trust
3,528 Posts
I agree, with the majority of posts on this thread Dennis...It's more easier to bend over the corner of a page on a pertinent piece of information located on that page than if it's digital form...I tried it once and had to buy a new CD and drive...LOL.

As far as information goes, it seems that most people that post here are looking at how to make power and think that the're going to go fast. To me, giving information on how to put that power to the pavement is a question that is asked but, in my opinion should be asked more frequently. I like a good burnout as much as the next guy but, I enjoy and respect the technology and thought that's required to make the car hook up and go fast. This is often overlooked and I'm sure that this is a delight to the tire companies.

Just my thoughts, if the geometry and laws of physics that apply could be explained to the average builder, you may have a book would sell in many volume. I'd buy it...but you need lots of pictures and few big words...LOL.

Best Regards
Ray

·
Banned
2,474 Posts
i THINK IT'S AN AGE THING..
I have an older laptop in the garage, and being able to turn pages with my greasy gloves on.. or in the winter, with my laytex+ mechanics gloves on.. and if I need even more info. hop onto the web.. and ask questions in a forum like here.. works better..
now I love to sit and read a book(paper) but when out in the shop/garage, books pages get dirty, and then sticktogether.. etc etc,
ideally, I'd like both.
most of todays books use junk for stock.. nothing like the old motor manuals that was heavy glazed stock..
the books cost would be a hard sell with quality stock used..

anyone thats been in the field for the last 15 years, uses computers in the shop/garage..
don't see why you couldn't offer whatever in print and digital.. as your book will be formed in the digital world.. so a digital hard copy(cd/dvd) wouldn't be hard to produce, cost wise.. print on good stock will be costly..
yes a digital copy can be copied,, but today I can scan a book into digital pages if I wanted to , in a few hours..
today when I travel.. it's the laptop and/or the wifes kindle.. as air travel and every bags is becoming costly to bring with you.. on a plane trip that may take most of a day with layovers,connections, a few books on a digital reader is easier than a 8.5x12" books..
thats my take..

·
Registered
447 Posts
Books or digital

I don't have to worry about the power source on a book. Computers are great information, however too many people don't recognize the difference between information and knowledge. I find that topics on the internet are more about information and lacking in actual knowledge of a subject matter. Kind of like ignorance and indifference, (I don't know and I don't care). Reading about something and actually doing it are very far apart. Lack of experience can be a cruel teacher. I would rather have a book.

·
Dry Heat
133 Posts
I do both.. I like books and also have a computer in the garage.. It depends on what the project is..where I will look and what I need.
Sometimes doing the research in the "library" is very time efficient..and just seems wrong in there with a laptop..:cool:

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
Im 30 and I still prefer a paper copy for in the shop; although I have hundreds of books as e books (check out the gutenburg press project sometime gutenburg.org: The Best Search Links on the Net I think).
However a lot of my books are OLD; especially some of my cook books. I learned a tip in culinary school to keep your wife's Good Housekeeping cookbook in good shape, cover the open pages with a sheet of saran wrap. This way you can read it, make a checkmark with a marker if its an involved step by step process (if you do this make sure the plastic wrap is SECURE otherwise you may look back and its moved) AND your pages stay food, grease, paint free.

I'd like to see a modern book on old engines. How to build a flathead, how to build a 265/283 today, or a Model T/Model A performance engine in todays world. Floyd Clymer was great 60yrs ago, but as these engines have far exceeded their lifespan, there are new things to look for in a core, some parts are just unavailable, and the 1960s prices are a bit out of date.

A good book on stainless and aluminum trim restoration; and an easy to read reference guide for using things like dial indicators and micrometers (in large print with a split ring binding with poly coated pages) would be nice.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.