Votes: 5 12.2%
  • My life would be so much better without

Votes: 2 4.9%
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
To those of you who are married or have been married, is it worth it? Do you think your life would be better if you weren't married? For myself anyway I think its better to just have a steady girlfriend, there seems to be so much crap that goes along with marriage these days (wife gets fat, sex stops, no time/energy/money for anything/possible divorce and everything that comes along with it). I think staying unmarried and not having kids is the path I'm gonna try and stick by. I know theres a lot of married guys on here, so speak up!

·
im on a highway to hell
688 Posts
the only advice i will give is this.................

make sure that you really want to do it, you have to ask yourself that question and be totally honest with yourself. if you cannot instantly say yes i want to do it then dont.

people get married for a lot of different reasons but the only reason to get married is because you love them. not just to" do the right thing" if you know what i mean

·
Premium Member
3,519 Posts
I'm only 24 and nearly all my friends are married. I don't see what the rush is, take some time to get your self figured out, get a job, work on your car for a while without somebody telling you you can't buy the parts and for gods sake

DON'T FREAKING START CRAPPING OUT KIDS JUST BECAUSE YOUR NEW WIFE GOES ON ESTROGEN OVERLOAD!!!!

K

·
Premium Member
3,519 Posts
thanks dude. THe way I see it is I only get to be young once. I get to be old, have a house payment, a workaday job, a gut and kids knawing my patience away for the rest of my life. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure I'll be ready for it eventually as we all are... I just don't see the point of these guys who want to piss their youth away at 21 for a life of responsability.

I don't make much money, I finished college and I like to work on my hotrod and drink beer and hang out with my friends. I'll let my girl know when I'm done doing that,

lol

K:thumbup:

·
I'm lookin' to learn.
92 Posts
I'll be married 15 years this December. My wife and I have 5 beautiful children as a result of the time we've been together:mwink: . We have had good times and bad but it's been a blessing to have someone there beside me to share everything with. Trade her or the kids for anything in this world...NO WAY.

One day a husband looked at his wife and said " Honey I still can't believe how you can be so incredibly beautiful and downright stupid at the same time."

The wife smiled and replied by saying, " Dear, this is why things are the way they are...God made me beautiful so you'd be attracted to me, and he made me stupid so I'd be attracted to you."

:thumbup:

Marriage is worth it in my books.

gotta go ..I hear a whip cracking ....

·
Registered
144 Posts
I was hopin' to have that nailed down by this point in the game... unfortunately I haven't found the right one yet. Thought I had the right one a few times too... glad I found out before making a mistake! :boxing: Haven't lost hope yet! Still lookin'!

One day a husband looked at his wife and said " Honey I still can't believe how you can be so incredibly beautiful and downright stupid at the same time."

The wife smiled and replied by saying, " Dear, this is why things are the way they are...God made me beautiful so you'd be attracted to me, and he made me stupid so I'd be attracted to you."
Huck, that was great! :thumbup:

Rock on and God bless...

Señor

·
Administrator
18,430 Posts
For our 25th anniversay, I took my wife to Arizona.................

On the 50th, I might go and pick her up..................

It's worth it................

·
Just one of the guys
3,074 Posts
I've been married for 14 years the second time around and was married for almost 16 the first time. One word of advice...don't get married at 19. Quite a few do it and it last. Quite a few do it and it don't. Too many things to do, Too many things to see. Besides that..you have the rest of your life to get married. Use your youth wisely. But above all, don't let your hormones get in you way of thinking. I'd like to have a nickel for everyperson that said their boyfriend / girlfriend was the only one and that things will last forever. For most getting married young, the concept of forever is around 24 months.

Kevin

·
Come Home Safe Soldier
846 Posts
I started dating my wife 14 years ago,married her 10 years ago.We dated long enough to know.I used to run around alot,get into trouble,young man things,nothing that would get you more than 5 months.She straightend me out,gave me three wonderful kids,plus she digs cars.Thats just my story though.I have more friends that are unhappily married just because they have kids and dont want to leave.Don't rush into something youll regret,it can get ugly.This has been a public service announcement by RCastle and I endorse this message.

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Been married for 33 years. We were engaged for 4 years before that and went together for a couple years in High School before that.

If it wasn't for her I'd have to call my buddies over if I need more than two hands when I'm working on one of my cars. She's learned how to install and remove an engine, install headers, and a host of other things. Also she's the one that turns the key when we start a new engine for the first time. She understands and doesn't bug me during my weekends so I can actually get work done on my projects. Of course I pay her back by doing all the honey-do's during the week after work and once every 15 or 20 years I build her a new house (starting one next March) so I think we're pretty even. Of course the big advantage for her is that she always knows where I am. :)

Centerline

·
Premium Member
2,233 Posts
My story here is I thought I would never even find a girl I could chance upon to even think the marriage issue over with.
That changed when a friend of mine helped me get over my dumping my last girlfriend (WAY too much like me for even me to tolerate for a lifetime).
I dropped her off at home at midnight Saturday night, and was on the phone with her mom Sunday evening informing her of MY decision.
Ten minutes later I was on the phone with a friend asking if he knew any single girls, three weeks later he mentioned me to a co-worker.
He arranged for us to meet at her place and then go out, double date style or something, he never called or showed, I called her and went alone and spent time with her and her 9-month old from her failed (farce as she calls it) marriage which was spent in a state of seperation for more than half of the total time.

I left that evening thinking I struck out again, and I was wrong.

We officially had our first date on November 28th, and got married the following March 27th, and had our daughter the following November 6th.

We have been through way too much for a couple only married for 5-1/2 years, and it has only made us grow up and love each other more.

I won't go into details, but we are on a current upswing in our time together, too very close to a very upsetting down time in our lives.

I wouldnt trade her for anyone else. I wouldn't trade our time together for anything else.

Sappy sounding? YES, but it's the truth.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Back in my 20's when all my friends were getting married and having kids and looking miserable and getting divorced I decided I wouldn't get married till I turned 40. The day after I turned 40 I got married and its been the best thing I've ever done. I say that because I was ready and I maried the right women for the right reasons. (I forget what they were but I think one of them was that she liked my car and didn't mind me doing burnouts and understands why, if I lay a patch of rubber down, I have to go back and look at it and get the measuring tape out).

·
Registered
215 Posts
Been married for 35 years and I'm tremendously happy. I know that because my wife tells me so.

·
or Jeff, or Doc, or...
989 Posts
20 years this coming July.... Could have been out of jail with good behaviour.... :thumbup:

Best thing I ever did.

Rules of engagement:
1.) Find someone you can respect, and one that respects you

2.) Don't take them for granted, and find one that won't take you for granted.

3.) Marry your best friend (No!!! Notice I didn't say same sex! :spank: )

4.) Learn the lost art of compromise. Make an agreement with your future spouse that whoever feels less strong about the situation will aquiess. And don't let it become one sided.

5.) COMMUNICATION: (should be #1) Let the other person know BEFORE it becomes a big deal. Where you can talk about it BEFORE you get all worked up, and perhaps lose your/her temper.

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
2,783 Posts
I am glad i did it

On oct 20th i will be married for 20 years. I love my wife more now then the day i married her. We got married because we loved each other, not because she was hot ( even though she was) or for money, ect, ect,,,, I think the age of getting married varys with each couple.. as you can see i was 22

I am very blessed beacuse she enjoys cars. She is a pro at putting hoods on L.O.L.

I also take a interest in the things she enjoys and i guess that is why i get treated so good....

I was told one time that a marriage is 50/50.... I don't believe that. I think both people need to give 100 percent to make it work.

Keith

·
Just one of the guys
3,074 Posts
Been married for 35 years and I'm tremendously happy. I know that because my wife tells me so.
My dad used to have a sign hanging in his house that said "I'm the boss of this house and I have my wifes permission to say so" I always got a kick out of that.:D

·
At a loss for words
364 Posts
I got married right after I turned 19. We had our first child (yes it was planned) right before I turned 21. We had our second child a few months after I turned 23 (about 2 months ago). So, a little over 4 years of marraige and 2 kids later, would I change anything??? Absolutely not! We got married because we loved each other and that is the only reason people should be married. When our kids are out of the house, we will still be young enough to enjoy life and the finer things. Making more money would be nice, but I'm not really too concerned with that at this point. We all have fun together and that is part of being a happy family. All I can say is make sure you are ready for marriage. Too many young people get married because they think it looks neat or are pressured into thinking they have to. There is definitely a difference between love and lust and sometimes that is blurred in people's minds. As for living it up while your young, I got that out of my system in high school. I finished college in 4 years (while being married and having a baby I'll note) just like I had always planned on doing. I decided to live it up in high school because I knew I'd have to grow up to finish college and start working.

·
Premium Member
8,453 Posts
fiscus said:
For myself anyway I think its better to just have a steady girlfriend, there seems to be so much crap that goes along with marriage these days (wife gets fat, sex stops, no time/energy/money for anything/possible divorce and everything that comes along with it).
Well. . . . . all I see in your question is "Me, me, I, me, me I, and me." Go into a marriage with that attitude and I guarantee a failure.

Stop and think for a minute. What if you found the 'perfect' mate who maintained her 38/24/38 DD figure, and insatiable sex drive for you decade after decade? When you inevitably turned into the fat, hairy, balding, glasses wearing, lazy, TV watching, beer drinking middle ager that the majority of us do, why would she want to stay with you?

Look at the vows that most of us take during the marriage ceremony. It is a serious contract of commitment to another person, bound only by our word. If a person's word cannot be counted upon in this most sacred contract, what good should it be given credence anywhere?

If you are going into it with the attitude of 'what is in it for me', then by all means avoid marriage. There are plenty of women out there who will give it up for free without commitment. Marriage is so much more meaningful than hot sex it is a shame most people today miss out on the potential. I have been married for 35 years and wouldn't trade a minute of it for being a 'player'. Sure my wife is not the hot little prom queen chick I married, but I am not the super stud, all league tight end she married either. In the mean time, we have produced 3 great kids, 5 marvelous grand-kids, managed careers through some great times and really dark days, stood by each other during some really tough health crisis, had some legendary times behind closed doors that no one else will ever share, and our greatest joys in life is trying to make the other happy. But that's just me.

·
Registered
118 Posts
As long as you marry the right woman you're fine. Be sure.

My wife and I dated for about 5 years and lived together for 2 before we got married. Living with someone, be it a guy or girl, will let you really know if you like that person around you.

I don't know what all the "no sex" after marriage talk is about.... I married a horny chick.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts