Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever used it? thoughts? I went on the web site and can't find the data sheet for the pro/base. I found it for the tech/base and the pro/base clear but not the pro/base color. There is no way I can afford $98 for a pint of PPG Dbc. I'm looking for a LESS expensive alternative.

·
Registered
179 Posts
My 68 mustang was painted with deltron base clear but for my work truck i wasnt going to shell out that kind of dough i used mbc base and hs euro clear. I must say user friendly and substantially less than the deltron stuff honestly i would use again with out thinking twice

·
Registered
179 Posts
honestly i just haven't used the stuff so i cant tell you how user friendly it is or well it lays out etc.. but i have used omni and omni+ and have had good results. My local napa does carry it and honestly i only know one person who has used it and seemed to turn out quite well but he also has alot of experience and generally sprays anything with great results

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My local NAPA dealer says they have all the PRO/BASE products but have not been trained on them yet. So they can't sell it untill they 're trained? They do have the CROSSFIRE I might try that or the OMNI.

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,464 Posts
I was a Martin Senour paint rep for a few years, Tec/Base was the same basic quality as PPG Deltron, Dupont Cromabase and most other basecoat systems of the day. It IS simply relabeled Sherwin Williams "Ultra/Base".

I have sprayed way too many gallons of it (hundreds, thousands?) with great success. What it is today, what the clears are like today, I don't know, this was 12 years ago. But basically, it's a top of the line Sherwin Williams product that is comparable with the others on the market.

"Pro/Base" I don't know, sounds like it's a "medium quality" higher than something like Omni or Martin Senour's "Cross/Fire" but not as good as Tec/base, interesting. I didn't even know it existed until learning about it right now so I have no idea how good it is.

Brian

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,464 Posts
Contact real tech reps thru the tech number, DO NOT trust the store personal who haven't gained experience with these products. They will often make big mistakes in product suggestions and uses.

Brian

·
Registered
1 Posts
Using Probase over a year now

Here is a link to the site.
Pro//Base
Probase is a polyester resin based basecoat.It is a totally different animal than dbc,omni,chromabase etc.I have sold, and used many of them.Probase is a mid tier offering from martin senour, which is sherwin williams paint,very good quality.This product provides a very good color match and far superior hiding to omni.In most situations i would go against dbc or chromabse any day,although this product was not designed to compete against these lines.Use the probase reducer that goes with this paint.Do not play chemist and dump anything in, odds are it will fail.Price is also a plus with this product.Oh and also, Probase can be made in a voc compliant version eliminating the need to use waterborne base coats that some paint companies are trying to scare people into using.For the record I do not work for any paint companies.Have used many products and sold some over the years. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
If anyone near you sells wanda paint line try their base and use SPI production clear on it you will be happy with the results.And with the bottom line on cost. When you can buy 5qt sprayable clear for less than $90.00 and it seems to be a real good clear you cant go wrong.Goes on nice and is hard to run and I dont have a problem doing that on most paints.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just tryed some omni on my truck cap. Sprays different than chromabase,takes more coats to cover and the color match is way off. Thats probably why its less than half the price. Good enough for what I was doing but I think I'll look for something alittle better before my next project. I have not heard of wanda paint I'll have to ask around.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I just tryed some omni on my truck cap. Sprays different than chromabase,takes more coats to cover and the color match is way off. Thats probably why its less than half the price. Good enough for what I was doing but I think I'll look for something alittle better before my next project. I have not heard of wanda paint I'll have to ask around.
never compare Omni to Chromabase!

Omni is bottom line like Nason .

we used Dupont for 35 years then for 8 years used PPG.

i have experience in all the lower and Higher lines of both paints.

you will have far better results spending some more money on the base you choose in these lines.

if you can find Pro-spray in your area it is excellent stuff and priced right.

i spray Pro-spray but at the moment have been offered a bunch of free products and mixing set up for the Ultra 7000 line of SW so i am going to play with it for a while.

Travis

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.