Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have power breaks on my 72 Nova. I replaced the rubber gasket on the top of the mastercylindar and it still keeps leaking out of the side??? Its on there really tight too, with that metal clip that goes over the top!! Still leaks. i dont understand how its getting through. any tricks? thanks

Todd

·
Registered
654 Posts
Is it leaking from the brake pipe port? Is the cylinder over full? Is the top cap bent or distorted? Is there an imperfection or debris on the master cylinder lip?

Just some thoughts that could contribute.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply.. its leaking from the top from the cover. Doesnt seem bent ot anything. just leaking out of the sides. you can see little runs from where it comes out the sides. How full is it suppose to be? i dont think i have to much in there.

·
Shop Owner And Troll Hunter
2,643 Posts
1/4 inch below the rim.

Troy

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Im pretty sure the gasket is ok... ill check it again but ya 1/4 below the rim and then when i take the car out and use the brakes the pressure makes it leak out of the sides even more.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Check the surface the cover gasket mates with. Any groove or deformity in the casting will cause it to leak. I had rebuilts units from parts store leak just as you described and it was from a deformity on sealing area.

·
It just takes time and money
225 Posts
Just go out and but a new cap from GM. I had similar problems and drove myself crazy, I finally bought a new M/C cap.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts