Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what the difference in the max rps of a built 383 and a 383 with dual over head cams would be. Basicly I'm trying to find out if I would be better/cheaper to get a normal 350 compared to one with dual over head cams and build it into a 383. Also if any one has a 350 of any kind they are trying to sell let me know.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
max rpm

There are several things that will govern max rpm, not only just the disintigration of your engine.
Even with a high tech dual over head cam set up, valve spring rates, lift and duration of the cam, CFM of intake and exhaust ,rigidity of the block and strength of the internal parts, rods, pistons, crank, are all big players in the rpm game.

As I love to say:
Cubic $$$$$$$$$$ = Horsepower liniered; how fast do you want to go?

What is this monster motor going to be used in?

I think going with the pushrod block 350 is a wise economical move.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm basicly looking for an engen that would be considered a hot rod engen. The 305 thats in my 78 cammaro has some pep but I want to be able to go to amature run night at the drag stip and be able to get a decent run. I still need to be able to use this as a daily driver so I don't want to go to extream. Right now I would guess I would run in the 17-20 sence every thing is stock.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
when you start talking dual overhead cams you're talking really big money and that corvette motor is a special motor not a normal ls1 or ls2 or ls6.you can get a complete 383 rotating asembly in the ebay motor stores for $700.00.that would't be a down payment on the vette motor.

·
Race it, Don't rice it!
8,828 Posts
To simply answer ther question. Overhead cams don't see the added lifter, pusrod, rocker, and oil weight so the same spring will run about 5-700 RPM higher before spring harmonics start to hurt power.

·
Registered
973 Posts
A Core motor is Just That...........
A Motor that Needs Rebuilding.............

It Sounds like you're looking for a Running Take-Out..........

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm just guess but would a compleat motor be new part or used parts?

Basicly I have a good spot in the garage for a 350 to sit and have me work on a bit at a time. Basicly what I would want is a v8 ware every thing but the intake, carb, and cam are ok (these are the peices I plan to buy performance parts for). So every thing aside from that needs to be ok (oil pan, oil pump, heads, pistens, rods, etc).

I was hoping to find this for around 200-300 but I'm not sure if that is a resonable goal or not. If some one around here had one for 200 I would probably have the money to buy it in about a week.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.