Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Ford 9" for my rat rod is offset to the passenger side by 2". In a couple weeks I'll be mounting the engine/trans and I was planning on offsetting the trans about 1" to cut down the angle of the drive shaft. However, Frisco posted this some time ago:

"As to your original question concerning the third member offset and drive shaft angle: As long as the centerline of the crankshaft from front to rear is parallel to the centerline of the third member pinion shaft (front to rear) any drive shaft angle will not be a problem."

Now I'm thinking it would be a LOT easier to just center the engine/trans and have a rather noticeable drive shaft angle (2" in about 2 feet). Is there a problem with that much angle and would I be better off going back to my original plan to offset the motor/trans.

Dewey

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
:D

Lots of Fords have the engine offset to the right to give more room around the steering and clutch linkage.

I moved my 350 SBC over 3/4" or so in my 32 Ford Roadster to gain clearance around the Vega steering box.

Do it.........

:thumbup:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts