Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, congrats to those working in Iowa,

Maytag (MYG: news, chart) said it negotiated a three-year agreement with the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers Local 1526, which represents production and maintenance workers in Amana, Iowa.

Hopefully, some other companies will follow suit.

Dutch

:thumbup:

·
Home Built Rods No Rules
750 Posts
Sorry Dutch I work at Maytag in Newton, Iowa,we were on strike for 6 weeks,trying to hold on to what we have. To be working at a appliance factory is not very secure right now. They laidoff another 193 this week at our plant, probably another 200 by x-mas,in the mid 90's there were 2500 production people,know down to around 1300. The salaried isn't secure eather walked out probably 1000 of them to hear they are going to get it again, some type of ratio they want 30 production to1? Maytag bought Amana I think 2years ago,as a result of that Maytag closed down its Galesburg Ill plant a loss of around 1000 jobs. Granted it brought more jobs to Amana plant in Iowa,also jobs went to Mexico,where alot of Newtons job have gone or southern states. Maytag started in Newton,15 years ago when I started there felt like a family you had a job for life,I don't think I'll have a job in 5-8 years,talks of us getting bought out,or moving coporate. Or ceo was asked point blank after we settled our contract if Maytag will be here,he said the duration of this contract yes,after that he couldn't say,will coporate be in Newton? As long as he is ceo well that could change tommorrow. We feel they are going to want to open our contract back up and ask for major concessions. If Amana got a fair contract I'm glad for them,I'd be willing to bet there was a gun to there head take it or leave it or they'll move the plant.Coporate black mail has gone wild in this country,take it or leave attitude for Mexico or foriegn countrys for tax loopholes,and lesser restrictions and nobody seems to cares untill its to late.
Hey I'm sorry for getting alittle upset about it, I guess kind of touched a nerve. I've asked this before is your job secure?

·
Tazz
2,048 Posts
Government giving tax brakes to business.....

that move ot Mexico is just wrong. American jobs are being lost and American workers laid off permanently but no one seems to care. VOTE come election day...let your voice be heard!

Tazz

Rat Rods Rule!

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Zonk,

I knew someone here worked at Maytag. I was really hoping this was good news for you. I didn't know that there were so many chapters out in Iowa. I never worked in a union. My father was a supervisor with MaBell and delt with the unions a lot. I remember stories about him crossing the line to keep things going.
As for my job, it is pretty secure being in the military. The button pushers are talking about lowering our numbers again and slowly letting people leave the service. There is even talk about bringing a board back to look at folks service records to help them either leave or retire early.
Talk about out sourcing, a lot of shore jobs are turning into contracted jobs. Sailors won't even have a chance for shore duty soon. Even I can't imagine doing 20 years of sea duty.

Dutch:(

·
Home Built Rods No Rules
750 Posts
There was an article in the paper this morning about Galesburg plant closing,yes if I remember the figures,I believe were something like 1600 jobs lost at the plant,however people don't realize the ripple effect of the closing,to an estimate of around 4500 jobs lost,maybe small business that counted on that plant,people that have to move,or diffently work for less then what they where making. Anyone that has worked in a major factory in the US will tell you thats where you could make a good living and benefits and hopefully retirement. I didn't go to college,but took an apprenticeship to learn a trade,here in the midwest good paying jobs are getting hard to find. I don't know who's to blame the company,politicians,perhaps the unions are at fault to,or maybe the general public that demands the cheapest product they can get. But Tazz is right if we don't get the politcians to listen the working middle class is going to keep going farther down. To them outsourcing jobs overseas I guess is good for the economy because the business can grow, I would love to ask one how in the hell can they(politicians) relate to health care issuses,job security,retirement, losing a $40,000-$60,000 job then find one that pays less than half of that no benefits and make ends meet? They can't relate to it because they have the best of everything and don't give a damn. Sorry I'll get off my band wagon. Hey I guess we'll see what happens,I hate the thought of starting over somewhere else,so ride it till it closes or hey maybe the lotto numbers LOL.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts