Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I've got a road race tube chassis car running a 4 speed dog box transmission and a Ford 9 inch rear end. I've got the parts to run a trans and diff cooler but I'd rather save the weight and not add the complexity if possible. I run at longest for 45 minutes.

I was thinking of using an infrared temperature gun to measure the case temperature of the trans and diff after a session to see where it's at. Is that a close enough measure? Or do I really got to get a temperature sensor in the oil to get the real reading?

Thanks,
Sal

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
After 45 minutes of running the temp should have stabilized and the cases will reflect the correct temp. Don't forget to shoot the wheel bearings on the rear end (and front end too), it will be a hint as to a failing bearing. Shoot the headers looking for a weak cylinder. That gun is your friend.

·
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel
6,313 Posts
Sounds dumb, but DO read the instructions on your point-and-shoot thermo. They don't shoot the laser and measure that pinpoint, they sample a cone-shaped IR pattern. Some of them are very narrow, others are very wide. With mine, I have to be within about 12" of something like a rear diff, otherwise it will take partial readings from the floorpan, the ground, etc and throw the readings off.

I had to kinda "school" the receptionist at my doctor's office. When the pandemic started, they were doing the 6' distancing thing and using an IR thermo. They couldn't understand why all the patients were something like 78 degrees. It's because they were getting some kind of average of the patient, the wall, the window, and the ceiling. They assumed that the laser itself was doing the measuring.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
External power steering coolier.
This will give you an idea.

Just tap your lowest point in the cover(or drain port on transmission) and run a T fitting. Place the coolier slightly lower so it is always submerged. You just added capacity.

The thing(s) shed heat very well. But if you need to shed more then computer fans(about that size) work great to knock temps down further if you need to suddenly stop for a crash etc.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts