Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
aka Duke of URL
4,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Due to continued unavailabilty of many older car parts (in this instance 61/64 LINC CONT front brake drums), is it possible/feasible to bore out (turn out) a brake drum and insert a new liner (similiar in principle to a cylinder liner), re-turn to specs and have a safe product?

Also, does it weaken a drum itself to press it from the hub, re-drill the bolt mounting pattern for another application?

Wondering In Maryland- :confused:

·
Registered
5,391 Posts
You will weaken the iron drum by boring oversize and shrinking in a sleeve What happens is you end up with two distinct pieces of iron bound only by the friction of a shrink fit. The outer shell, which is supposed to have the majority of the inherent strength of the drum only has a percentage of the original while the liner which is only a shell, maybe is only .063 thich is left with some other percentage which is additive but not back to the original 100%. My guess is that you would end up belling the outer side of the original shell with a continual heating and cooling and losing the integity (fit) of the inner shell to the original thinned drum. But with that said - if it's going to be used on a much lower weight car/rod, probably not a problem. If its going back on a land yacht like the big old Continentals, I would not consider using this arrangement as they needed all the brake possible.

I wouldn't worry about redrilling the inner section- it wouldn't be a problem as it is steel rather than iron and the hub carries the load - you can also carefully plug weld this steel part but probably not worth the effort. also, you can consider elongating the holes - again, the fit is normally the hub.

Then, there is the tried and true Buick drum - finned aluminum 'heat sink' with an iron braking surface - two piece, but designed that way with plenty of stength for the big cars.

I think what I'd do is find a rear drum that would match the diameter and width of the existing fronts and adapt - the old Lincs were big and some of the recent pickups had rears that would probably match - but you would have to find a spec sheet of aftermarket parts to match and fit and a machine shop to do some fitup work. :sweat:

Dave

·
aka Duke of URL
4,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:eek:

DAMN!

Excellent Advice...

Thanks for the information. I appreciate the suggestion of possible matching of an available rear drum to the front hub.

I owe you a beer... :thumbup:

·
aka Duke of URL
4,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Irelands child said:
Let me know how you make out - always like these kind of dilemmas :cool:

Dave
I am going to begin the search through the LT MPC to see if there is any chance of a light truck rear drum to be substituted.

Hard to believe no one makes just the replacement drum, hub and drum yes. They finally came through with just the replacement rotor for 65/ (no hub) but not the earlier drum.

-REFERRING URL CONCERNING DRUMS-

·
aka Duke of URL
4,815 Posts
Irelands child said:
Let me know how you make out - always like these kind of dilemmas :cool:

Dave
I think I have found a possible solution. I just need a 63/64 to match up components.

From LCOC Board-

KULTULZ said:
If the LINC has 11" X 3" brake size all around (BIRD has 11" X 2 1/2" rear brakes), is it possible the LINC rear drum is cast alike the LINC front drum and can be pressed onto the hub for service? Are the rear drums readily available for service?

Anyone doing a brake job on their LINC in the near future, please compare drums.
The solution was there (I think) and I didn't realize it. THE LINC has 11 X 3" all around and the shoe set is the same front and rear.

When I find the final answer I will post it... :thumbup:

[highlight]Am Looking For Factory/Aftermarket Speed Parts For The MEL (MERC-EDSEL-LINC-TBIRD) Engine Family (383-410-430-462) Produced From 1958 To 1968

Also Early FORD Special Service Tools[/highlight]

-Mercury-Edsel-Lincoln- Engine Forum

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.