Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm new to this site. I hope that someone out there has some info on installing the new Mercedes headlights in a street rod. I've seen quite a few cars in magazines but no How- To's. I know the headlight and driving light are in one assembly but I just want to use the headlight. Do you need any special wiring etc?... Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Dave

·
Registered
7,045 Posts
Welcome to the site dwhip. :welcome: Don't know anything about those headlights.

To get the most out of the site check out the Knowledge Base and use the search function for quick answers to your questions. As well check out the Project Journals for info and inspiration. Checked out your journal that 35 looks great on the outside - not so good on the inside. A little bie of work will clean that up fast! :thumbup: Glad to have you here and enjoy the site.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
That is one slick looking concept drawing. I really don't know how to help you on that as I have never done it, but like all custom work you do much of it is uncharted territory and you dig in and start making things fit. I have a mag somewhere where they put mini cooper headlights in an older rod maybe I may be able to dig up. Think they look somewhat similar to those mercedes, although I don't think it was a dodge they put them in. I would think it would be much like frenched headlights, were you make a bucket for the headlights to sit in and then make room in the body and make the fenders fit the headlight bucket. I didn't have a chance to look through you project journal. Are you using the dodge wiring system? Me and electricity don't mix, but maybe if you found a wiring diagram of the mercedes lighting circuit and also could find a dodge wiring diagram, You could compare the two, or run a circuit like the mercedes diagram. You may want to post a question in the electrical forum on here about the wiring. Some of the guys that hang out there may be able to help on that.

·
Registered
7,045 Posts
I just got back from a swap meet and saw a pair of the mini headlights. They come as a complete package with a bucket attached. For them all you would have to do is fabricate a couple of attachment braces to your fenders and they would drop right in a hole cut into your fenders. Knowing how companies copy others designs I assume the Mercedes are the same type of bucket.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the help Home Brew. I'm going to the Good Guys show this coming weekend in Charlotte, hopefully I'll be able to find something there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts