Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the process of painting my car, which I chemically and mechanically stripped entirely down to bare metal, I was told by the paint supplier to apply POR's Metal Prep to create a phosphoric coating that would need to be washed thoroughly after it remained wet on the surface for 15-30 minutes. That done, I should next have to clean with a wax/grease remover and apply my filler/primer prime coat.
Days after I finished rinsing the Metal Prep, I noticed a golden tint over most of the car. At close examination it appears to be veins of surface rust (see pic).
Called POR and they told me it is only made as a prep for POR-15 rust paint and not to be used directly under other paints.
Time wasted, labor wasted...now I have to sand entire car to get rust and this crap off the car.
Any suggestions as to what I should use as a rust converter before applying paint?

Thanks

· Administrator
10,422 Posts
I moved your post to a new thread. Most of the members in the old thread have not logged in for 8 to 12 years.

· Administrator
9,786 Posts
Use DTM epoxy. Primer a few hours after it cures so as to not have to scuff it.
PPG epoxy DTM has a 72 hour window
I primered about 2 hours after epoxy so it would bond chemically. If you wait too long (more than the 72 hours) then you have to sand/scuff it . Not much fun there.It doesnt sand or scuff well.
My suggestion is do a panel at a time, DTM epoxy , wait 2 hours, then Primer. After that it is business as usual

1 - 3 of 3 Posts