Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 20gauge panel that i welded some brackets to. This warped the panel a bit and i tried to grind it smooth. But now, marks are showing thru the paint. What is the best way to fix this?

Thanks,

JB

·
Lost in the 60's
15,245 Posts
If they are pretty good marks I would use body spot putty and block sand and then use a high solids filler primer and block sand again. You may have to prime and block sand twice. I got ahead of myself, Grind or sand your paint off down to metal first.

[ April 22, 2002: Message edited by: Henry Highrise ]</p>

·
Registered
33 Posts
Something I use in the bodyshop is some stuff called evercoat metalglaze. Its a 2 part stuf like bondo it comes with hardener.It comes in a pint bottle.It flows out real good and sands easily with 180 grit.You can put it right over the paint , but scuff the paint with 180 or 220 first. That will give it something to stick to.Then smooth it out and primer.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I agree with big dreams, you are going to need some kind of filler in there to fill in your marks and smoth your part out again. I would advise against using spot putty, it is just a thick form of lacquer primer which will shrink after time.

·
Registered
127 Posts
The metal glaze will do what you want it to do and will not shrink. It is also easy to work with. :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts