Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just removed the high velocity water pump from my car's 350 engine. The block is a GM Mexican 350 Crate block. My issue is this. When I loosened the driver's side lower water pump bolt, antifreeze came out until the block drained. Once I removed the water pump, just to see if I was dreaming, I took a Phillips small shank screw driver and placed it in the hole, it went through the casting into the water port. This is not the passenger side, where there are thee holes for the water pump connection, two for bolts, 1 for free flow for I'm assuming the heater hose route. The passenger side lower and upper threaded bolt holes were only about 3/8 to 1/2" deep, the driver side upper is the same as the passenger side upper and lower, but the lower bolt hole goes all the way through the casting which is at this point about 1/2" thick. Is this standard? And if so, what do I use to prevent water seepage up the threads to the water pump housing and on out past the end of the bolt?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What Type of Sealer is best

What type of sealer is best to use, so that I do not get a bolt rusted or frozen to the block?

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
I do believe out of the four water pump bolts there is one on the driver side that does go through all the way and I think its the bottom bolt that does. I put Teflon tape on the threads and some rtv silicone that is compatible with antifreeze or permatex 2 to be safe and never had any issues. I have a old 2 piece rear main seal block and a 1 piece rear main seal 880 vortec style block and they both are like that.

·
More for Less Racer
19,275 Posts
Virtually all SBC's are the same way, just put sealer on it, Permatex #2, RTV silicone, Teflon Plumbers paste, Hylomar, The Right Stuff RTV.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got it, I was concerned since I've got two other older 350 blocks '010' & '014' that have both water pump holes on both sides are closed to the inside, therefore no other chance of leak through.

thanks again, still at it putting it back together.

·
Hot Rods are Built, not Bought
803 Posts
Products Print Permatex® Water Pump & Thermostat RTV Silicone Gasket

Permatex makes an RTV that has the highest water-glycol resistance available in an RTV silicone.

Little known product at my local NAPA, the guy at the counter said they didn't make such a product, I walked over to the Permatex display, slected the product and then handed it to him...... he's usually pretty knowledgeable.

- See more at: Gasket Makers : Permatex® Water Pump & Thermostat RTV Silicone Gasket

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I use to be in retail sales myself, and the first thing I would do when arriving on the job was to check the store flyer for sales items and locate them on the shelves. That way, I could tell "my" customers where to find the product they were searching for. Thanks for the information.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts