Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Running a 383 with an Edelbrock Performer RPM Intake Manifold under a 750 cfm Edelbrock Performer carb.

The Performer RPM heads to match with the 88cc chambers...

Headers are next, after that... Back down to the block for the cam and maybe some more machine work and new pistons.

What kind of cam would you suggest? I already have an idea... But I noticed alot of you guys (I read alot more than I post) know ALOT more than I do about these things.

Suggestions for a little overbore and what type of pistons would be great too.

Also... Should I put a new timing chain and gear in when I change my cam?

It already feels great, but I want to pull more horses out... Without just CHUGGING the gas, nothing really rough or lopey... But getting there... lol

It's actually my daily driver, it's getting to be an obsession and being a bit overdone now... But whatever.

·
Registered
117 Posts
i'd say comp cams xtreme energy 262/272 adv duration (218/224 @.050 lift) just because it's a smaller cam that will get you better mileage than something too big, but also make some good power with a good manifold and decent flowing heads. but just an opinion.

will

·
Premium Member
3,519 Posts
I disagree, that cam is very poorly matched to the manifold and carb (why put a small cam under a big carb?).

What compression will you run? What car? Gears? Intended use? You don't build a 383 for mileage, you build a 3.8 liter V6 lol.

K

·
Registered
19 Posts
There is an actual performer rpm cam as well, that of course would work well with your rpm heads and intake. That is, as Killerformula is asking about, if your compression is over 9.5:1. I'm not sure how well the rpm cam will work with a stock exhaust unless you have ram horns or some other well flowing manifold. Lastly yes get a new timing chain. They stretch and it's important to have your cam timing be very precise during each stroke.

·
http://teamrfc.gospelcom.net
1,742 Posts
I would recommend the XE274H (230 236 @.050, .487 .490 lift) and throw a set of 1.6 rockers on it if you have the extra money. Also, whenever I change a cam, I like to use a new timing set, just for piece of mind that it is new. This cam will make power in the 1800-5800 range if you use the 1.6 rockers. It will probably be closer to 1600-5600 if you dont. As far as pistons go, a set of Kieth black hypers would be fine as long as you dont run any large amounts of nitrous.

Adam

·
Member# 3287
2,625 Posts
Did I misread? The Edelbrock heads have 88cc chambers??

First, I would decide what compression you have, or will have when you decide on pistons. As suggested, 9.5:1 or so will keep you on pump gas.

Second, decide what rpm range you hope to obtain the best power in. Then select a cam that will give you that range and also be compatible with your compression.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
MI - Not all of the Edelbrock heads have the 88cc chamber, they're optional on the RPM 440 heads. :thumbup:

RegaMaro - Edel does have a Perf. RPM cam too, but I can't find them for my block... They have a 383 cam set, but I need adjustable rockers or rods with it, and it says for only 1968 or later. :rolleyes:

Killerformula - I haven't tested the compression since any part of the build, but it was 9.2:1 stock. I'd like to stay on pump gas. I'd like my power to be roughly in the 1500 - 6000 range... And it's on a land yacht, big ol' 65 Fury III Four Door. It has stock gears but I'm going to run 3.5 to 3.8 and put posi in the back. I'm going to use it as a cruising car mainly... After it's done being built I'll take it to the track a couple times, get some times on it and so forth, but that's not TOO important to me...

I JUST CAN'T STAND RICE ROCKETS WHO THINK THEY'RE HOT

hahaha

Theres nothing greater than the feeling of pushing the wieght of 6 of their cars out in front of them with some american muscle.

I'd like to stay with the stock rocker's for now even though plans are to change them out. I haven't been pushing the motor too hard yet because of some of the stock components actually... Once I get the cam, lifter, and new rods in I'll start laying on it.

I don't plan on ever running nitrous. There is no need on my eyes, and although Im squeezing HP out of this motor to where I don't expect it to be a 150,000 mile motor... I still want to be driving it a long time.

Siggy_Freud said:
I thought the SBC RPM's were only made in 72cc and 64cc chambers.
Big Block Chrysler buddy

·
Premium Member
2,370 Posts
Gotcha. More often than not when someone is talking about a 383 on this board they are refering to a stroked chevy. And I didn't see anything that actually stated what type of car or engine this is until after my post so I just assumed.

My bad.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Siggy_Freud said:
Gotcha. More often than not when someone is talking about a 383 on this board they are refering to a stroked chevy. And I didn't see anything that actually stated what type of car or engine this is until after my post so I just assumed.

My bad.
I would've thought the EXACT same thing.

*looks at avatar*

·
http://teamrfc.gospelcom.net
1,742 Posts
I thought it was a chevy also. Anyway, there is a cam for the Chrysler 383 that is almost the exact same as the chevy motor. It is also called the XE274H (230 236 @.050 .488 .490 lift). The only minor difference is that this cam in a chrysler 383 will make power in the 1800-6000 range, so a little bit higher.

Adam

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
firestone said:
I thought it was a chevy also. Anyway, there is a cam for the Chrysler 383 that is almost the exact same as the chevy motor. It is also called the XE274H (230 236 @.050 .488 .490 lift). The only minor difference is that this cam in a chrysler 383 will make power in the 1800-6000 range, so a little bit higher.

Adam
That actually sounds about PERFECT with the Performer RPM series parts I already have on it.

All of which are designed to help out in the 1500 - 6500 range I believe.

I'm thinking that's gonna be a mighty nice feeling stomp to the floor while passing on the freeway.

Sorry about the confusion, I often forget to state things that are obvious to me without thinking "hey... no one else has a way of knowing *** you're talking about"

*EDIT*

Hey, I can't find that cam anywhere... I only see it for Chevy blocks.

No Chrysler stuff.

Back to square one...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.