Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:welcome:

Hi guys.

I have a hitachi mini starter installed but it completely misses the flexplate no matter which position I mount it in. It seems the gear just doesnt extend far enough. Anyone ever encounter this? Engine is a fresh build and I havenot tried a regular starter but opted for the mini for header clearance. Any suggestion greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
168 tooth for a mark IV 454. I was told that my starter would work with either, just a matter of using the right mounting holes. I do believe Ive tried them all. :( Any other possibilities? I surely hope flexplate not on backkwards. It would be such a pain to have to pull everything back out of this car.

·
Registered
156 Posts
That starter should have four holes, two align it for a 168 tooth, the other two for a 153 tooth. There's about an inch difference between the two. Double check that. Flywheel may indeed be on backwards as that's somewhat of an easy mistake.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I don't think the flex plate can be on back-wards. The mounting holes are not symmetrical such that if you turn it around, it would be impossible to line all the bolt holes up.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Whippetguy said:
I don't think the flex plate can be on back-wards. The mounting holes are not symmetrical such that if you turn it around, it would be impossible to line all the bolt holes up.
I beg to differ. Trust me i just flipped mine around in my v8 s10. 6 hours of rolling around on the floor to turn it around. Not a fun task.

·
Administrator
18,633 Posts
Whippetguy said:
I think you are right....he said irs a 454, which, being externally balanced, would only go on in one position.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.