1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
1950 Ford Custom
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
Not sure about that particular one, but I have a late model GM mini starter on my 400. It is very nice, works well, and is much lighter than stock. I picked mine up at the local alternator/starter rebuild shop for $80.

Chris

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
I run a mini starter too and have for a long time (8 years). As with most things some are junk and some are good. In this case, price is a poor way to compare. I have seen some of the high dollar ones not last very long and I have seen some of the cheaper ones run for ever. The one I have and that I always suggest to other only cost $119 brand new. It works great and mine has lasted well with not one issue. It has outlasted 4 engines so far.

I bought if from Tommy Johnsons Motorsports.

Royce

·
Come Home Safe Soldier
846 Posts
Camaroman,Braketeer,I have thought myself on getting one for my SBC.Are they reliable enough for an engine that starts 4 to 5 times a day?Sometimes during the summer for the weekend cruises even more than that?

·
Registered
297 Posts
hedonite,

I have gone through 2 of the no name brands, thinking they were all the same. NOT!!!

I bit the bullet and bought a genuine a/c delco brand that is used on all 168 tooth flywheel/flexplate late model engines. Has performed flawlessly, no shims required, on my 454, +30over 10:1 compression for 1 year now.

HERE is a good one.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
The starter in the picture above is nothing like mine at all.

My mini starter has been used to start my car several times a day. I would even use it on a daily driver. You don't have to spend $300 to get a good starter, you just have to know where to look. There are some that are garbage, don't last long, don't fit well, etc... I had a friend go through 3 starters in a matter of months (El Camino SBC), could never get the starter to last or work right (grinding or flat out stop working). It was a high dollar mini starter. He finally listened to me and bought the one from Tommy Johnsons and bingo not another problem. It's been in his car for over a year now.

They just work!!! At $119 I doubt you can find a better starter, actually at $300 I doubt you can find a better starter.

Royce

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
:D

GM #10455702

Come stock on GM's ZZ430........430 Horsepower engines...

I always use one when I can.......:D

·
1950 Ford Custom
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks

Thanks for all of the info. Good to know what may not perform Tiresmoke. I will avoid that particular one but stick to wildman and Duce's advice (and part numbers).

·
Registered
39 Posts
I use a GM gear reduction mini starter, no problems with heat from the headers and no problem turning the motor. I agreed with getting a "name brand" starter, you may pay a little more but not having to worry about IF it will crank is worth it.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
If you buy an OEM brand new one you won't be disappointed. I put a new permanent magnet starter on my old 300-6 Ford and it lasted 11 years and 97,000 miles, in Alaska with lots of 35-40 below starts.

·
Registered
10,928 Posts
Some of the permanent magnet mini geared starters have a little annoyance. The bendix is a little slow about retracting once the engine has started and drags for a short time. I have a Delco unit that does it, so it is probably not endemic to any one brand.

Vince

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.