Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here ever tried this stuff?

http://www.chromepolish.com/

I have one piece that I need to rechrome. It is the steering wheel horn ring for my 1968 VW beetle. They do not make originals of these anymore and to get one rechromed at a shop is going to cost upwards of $100!:pain:

If this stuff really works I will buy a bottle at $30 and save some $$$. I just hate to buy something that will not work.

Any comments on this would be helpful!

Thanks!!!

·
Administrator
18,633 Posts
I bought some similar stuff, not sure of the name, but it was supposed to simulate chrome. It looks good when 1st put on, but it fades to a silver colour in a short time.

A horn ring will get constant abuse..........it will wear off in no time.

·
Premium Member
8,454 Posts
I imagine the active 're-plating' ingredient is probably zinc which as Poncho says will look bright when first plated but will soon oxidize. Nickel/chrome plating is an involved process and there is no way around all the arm-waiving involved to get that unique, beautiful, bullet proof finish.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies!

I was afraid that stuff was a gimmick....Go figure...

I checked the Wolfsburg West web-site and e-mailed them to make sure it was the correct part. It looks right, but I bought a replacement one a few weeks ago and it did not fit!

If you know of a good, inexpensive chrome shop, please let me know. I am willing to ship the part somewhere if needed.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, thanks guys... I guess I lucked-out yesterday.... I went to the VW shop and saw one on a car and since I swapped them out for the guy he just gave it to me..... Can't beat a freebie!!!

Now that VW closed the Mexico plant, new-replacement parts are getting a little bit harder to find....

Thanks again everyone!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.