Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i have a 390 and i was wondering since i've heard that the bigger ford motors have some interchangeability ... haha i thinks thats a word. i was wondering if i could fit 351 Cleavland high flowing heads on it? Im new to things and have no clue if its possible and if so what would be the stipulations.

Bill

·
Registered
157 Posts
Yep....you'll need to stick to the FE style heads.

·
brains
1,009 Posts
I think the only interchangable part is the distributor. The cleveland heads wont work, the clevelands have a 4.38 bore spacing and the 390's have a 4.63

Ben

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
another question

Has any one ever heard anything bad about 390 heads . When i say bad i mean , are they prone to warping or anything bad. This motor is in a vehicle that i would like to buy. The owner says the head gasket is leaking and its not a big deal. There's oil (dirty grime etc.) on the side of the offending head. A friend and auto shop owner said it may be the gasket or warpage. Also the owner of the car says the 2v carb is sending too much fuel when in 4th gear. Now i cant see what gear your in makes any difference in how the carb is working.

thanks bill

·
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.
5,122 Posts
[QUOTE="70" Cougar]Has any one ever heard anything bad about 390 heads . When i say bad i mean , are they prone to warping or anything bad. This motor is in a vehicle that i would like to buy. The owner says the head gasket is leaking and its not a big deal. There's oil (dirty grime etc.) on the side of the offending head. A friend and auto shop owner said it may be the gasket or warpage. Also the owner of the car says the 2v carb is sending too much fuel when in 4th gear. Now i cant see what gear your in makes any difference in how the carb is working.

thanks bill[/QUOTE]
Surface the heads before reinstalling. Check the block with a straight edge for warping.

get another carb

www.readershotrods.com drag cars/georges drag strip

·
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.
5,122 Posts
cliff tate said:
how can i id flexplate for 50onc versus early 302s have 2 with no partnos and would lik to id them

302 flexplates weights are about 4 inches long.
5.0 weights are about 7.

Guessing, never measured them.

·
Troll Hunter
2,694 Posts
390 heads are fine, with a set of 428 valves they really flow nicely for a street engine. Contrary to the post, the 351C distributor won't work either...the points will, but that's it. It can be used in a 429/460 and the 351M and 400, but that's it. If you redo the heads more important, in most cases, is to have the exhaust face resurfaced. They are prone to heat errosion and if not surfaced may leak, not a pleasant thing in a fresh rebuild.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts