Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering if its a bad idea to run some shorter style ladder bars (around 25-26" c-to-c pivot to axle) with some regular coil springs mounted over the axle. The conflict I am wondering about would be the small arc of the short ladder bars, and the axle being fixed into that arc unlike regular 4-link and trailing arm set ups. The spring coil will only be straight inline in its buckets at one point in that arc. Can the springs handle the compromised line up? Not to mention the pinion angle as the rear end swings through its arc, will that be OK? Any comments and ideas would be greatly appreciated! This set up is /was planned for a 47 ford pickup ratrod.

·
Member - AMC/Rambler "guru"
1,772 Posts
26" is going to make the truck rather bouncy on the back. I ran short ladder bars in a street rod for a while, 24-26" (cna't remember exactly), and that was the result. The longer the bars the better! I wouldn't go under 30" if you can find the room. If you won't be doing much long distance cruising you should be okay though -- at low speeds it handled fine. Yes. 4" makes a difference!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts