Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
on my ratrod I want the big and little stance. the calculated diameter for the rear suspension is 30" ( 10" kickup ). I know that a 31x10.5x15 would fit the bill, or a 265/75/15 would also and that's a common size in p rated due to the Z71 GM trucks. BUT, the real tall and skinny look would be a 235/85/16 and that is only available as an LT tire. I think D rated was the lowest ply rating I found and that was for Chinese tires.. The front tires are just going to be a 14" tire, around a 24-25" diamater so obviously P rated.

If I put LT's in the back and P's in the front will it cause any really bad handling characteristics or should I just deal with the wider 265? I'm looking in highway rated tires like a General Grabber HTS

·
Registered
76 Posts
In your use, it won't make much difference as for handling, as you really don't have any. What you will have with a LT tire (D or E rated) is a very stiff sidewall. It will likely ride rough even at very low pressures, since you are not talking about a lot of weight on them. Ride wise, the P series will ride way better.

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that makes sense. They are much cheaper too. I can get Dextero DH2's for $110 plus a 10% discount. There a cheaper straight highway tire but we sell a lot of them at the tire shop

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think I'm going to use the 235/85's and put them on some basic replacement 16x6.5 steel wheels that were for a 2002 Chrysler Concorde's winter tires. they were bought new and had 2 sets of tires installed, so they should clean up nice. They have been kicking around for 5 years or so. FWD wheels sure, but it does not matter since I can build the offset to work. They fit the hubs. It currently has stock Carevan wheels and tires on it as rollers which are basically the same wheel

1 - 6 of 6 Posts