Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see a lot of stuff online about guys using different brands combined to refinish their project. Ex: primers by PPG, basecoat by Metalux and the clear by Glasurit. I was always under the idea that you should use a complete system. But now, I have to deal with this issue. Im in a situation where I have Metalux bascoat in Wimbleton White and Montana Big Sky Primer Surfacer. The shop I bought that from said its made by the same company and is compatible. Unfortunately, they did not have etching primer and said its on order. Last time somethng was " on order" in this place it took a lifetime to get in. I got a job to get done and would like to know what chances do I take using an etching primer and clearcoat made by other companies with the stuff I already have?

·
More for Less Racer
19,500 Posts
The guys I know of all do it, and say it isn't a problem.

Where you run into problems is using one company's reducer with another company's paint or primer, or the same situation with hardener being different brand...but to put one company's paint over someone elses primer, sealer, etc is no big deal.

Several i know like the SPI clear, and put it over any other company's basecoat paint.

·
Grand Prix user
5,416 Posts
Normally atop the list of "suitable substrates" on tech docs for primers and color is "existing finishes". There ya go.;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts