Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9,050 Posts
haven't chopped one but i did unchop one of the poorest chops i've ever seen on a 31. they look almost like you can cut then lower and reweld but there is about 3/8- 1/2 inch difference per 3 inches of chop that you have to account for otherwise you end up with too much metal on one side and short on the other. these guys just started on one side and by the time they got to the other the door post was about 5/8 in off so they just folded the metal over and wasted about 4 sticks of braze rod and lots of mud to try to hide the gross error i'm sure some alcohol was involved also. remember that you also have wood members to contend with, also the vertical body seams and strips.

·
Registered
699 Posts
You might want to consider your head clearance before you do that. I am 5'9" and when I get in my Model A I only have about 2 inches of head clearance, and I have thin upholstery. If you had the fancy upholstery that would be down to 1 inch. This clearance can also be affected by the type of seat you have. The chopped top looks cool but if you are a fairly tall person it is not practical.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by HotRodMan:
<strong>You might want to consider your head clearance before you do that. I am 5'9" and when I get in my Model A I only have about 2 inches of head clearance, and I have thin upholstery. If you had the fancy upholstery that would be down to 1 inch. This clearance can also be affected by the type of seat you have. The chopped top looks cool but if you are a fairly tall person it is not practical.</strong><hr></blockquote>

·
Registered
547 Posts
This is one of the easiest chops to do. The only area you will have any adjustments to do will be on the windsield posts. Everything else is pretty well square and very little massaging or metal stretching required.. You might want to pick up a copy of Tex Smiths' "How To Chop Tops", if I remember right he as 3 or 4 examples in there. As the roof comes down lower the seat. :cool:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts