Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gonna be switching to a 4-speed, dont think there's much room under the floor for pedal mounting, and dont really like having clutch & brake reservoirs mounted outside on the firewall.....so I am left with finding a spot under the dash, have not looked yet, should there be some sort of brace under there to mount these?
('31 Model A Coupe hot rod)

·
Dennis W. Parks
56 Posts
Pedals

Most likely, you will not have an adequate brace under the dash unless you install one. I believe you could build one easily enough by bending some tubing (one to two inch diameter) to closely match the shape of the inside of the cowl. Weld a flange on each end so that it can be bolted to the floor/frame rails. You can then mount your pedals and have something substantial to mount your steering column to as well.

Dennis W. Parks
Author of automotive how-to books

·
Registered
17,613 Posts
Most likely, you will not have an adequate brace under the dash unless you install one. I believe you could build one easily enough by bending some tubing (one to two inch diameter) to closely match the shape of the inside of the cowl. Weld a flange on each end so that it can be bolted to the floor/frame rails. You can then mount your pedals and have something substantial to mount your steering column to as well.

Dennis W. Parks
Author of automotive how-to books
On my T, I used a brace made of 1 1/2" x 0.120" wall square tubing, like an upside-down "U" and welded it to the frame. Stiff as a minister's dick and worked well.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yup...just took a peek under the dash.....nothing there, column is supported by a bracket welded to top of the cowl, pretty sturdy there, but nothing for pedals to be mounted to.....man I hope I'm not STUCK with this A/T!

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
And your current brake pedal / master cylinder is under the floor?
yes, its mounted to the frame, manual brakes, the pedal comes up through the floor practically underneath the steering column, a bit off to the right side, I dont see how a clutch pedal can fit on the left side of the column?

·
Hot Rods are Built, not Bought
829 Posts
The pedal arms can easily be heated and bent to position them where you need them.

Also keep in mind that your 4 speed will take up less width than the automatic.

Are you running under the floor exhaust?

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
this is true...but the tranny's not the issue, its the lack of room between the frame and the steering column for the clutch pedal arm....
I am running Patriot outside headers/sidepipes, nothing underneath

·
829 Posts
That's the tuff part of doing this after the fact. During fabrication moving the column toward the center a little is no big shake. Doing it now pretty much sucks.

It's easy for me to say, but I think you can make this work. Did you look closely at the TCI photo above? The clutch pedal hugs the frame.

Got any photo's of your current set-up?

Attachments

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That's the tuff part of doing this after the fact. During fabrication moving the column toward the center a little is no big shake. Doing it now pretty much sucks.

Did you look closely at the TCI photo above? The clutch pedal hugs the frame.
yes I did...wish I had one to mock up or test fit, wonder if they'd lend one to me for that purpose? or buy one and be able to return? guess I'll call them tomorrow....thanks for all your input, maybe I;ll try figuring out how to post pics tomorrow to see if that helps anyone to see my delemma!

·
Registered
5,391 Posts
I have a reinforcing framework around the entire pass. compartment in my '31. Lots of 3/4 and 1" tubing, both round and square. There is not a bit of the dreaded Model A cowl shake or body flopping

You do run into a problem with a steering column - too low, no room for 3 pedals. Raise it higher, then exhaust manifolds get in the way and you can end up with more then three U-joints and an additional support bearing.

Dave W

·
829 Posts
I have a reinforcing framework around the entire pass. compartment in my '31. Lots of 3/4 and 1" tubing, both round and square. There is not a bit of the dreaded Model A cowl shake or body flopping

Dave W
Impressive fabrication work Dave.

One thing to note: 31ROC has a coupe. Cowl shake is a roadster thing, coupes and sedans don't exhibit this due to the inherent strength associated with the roof structure.

yes I did...wish I had one to mock up or test fit, wonder if they'd lend one to me for that purpose? or buy one and be able to return? guess I'll call them tomorrow....thanks for all your input, maybe I;ll try figuring out how to post pics tomorrow to see if that helps anyone to see my delemma!
I gotta believe they would sell you a bare steel set-up and only charge a nominal restocking fee if you return it.

Keep us in the loop as this progresses. I for one am very interested in how this all palys out.

·
Registered
5,391 Posts
Impressive fabrication work Dave.

One thing to note: 31ROC has a coupe. Cowl shake is a roadster thing, coupes and sedans don't exhibit this due to the inherent strength associated with the roof structure.
I'm aware that 31ROC has a coupe - but I'm also well aware that once he pulls that gas tank and either cuts it off the cowl or just replaces it with an aftermarket version, much inherent strength is lost PLUS he also needs something to either mount pedals, e-brake handle, column drop, a/c or whatever else he wants in that under dash not-as-big-as-thought hole.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Gas tank already gone....this car was near finished when I bought, now its time to make it mine.....
I will attempt taking some pics tonite and post them, so you pros out there will get my issues.....I REALLY appreciate everyone's input being a hotrod newbie....:D

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have seen an under the dash booster, pedal assembly complete with master cylinder. It mounts sideways and has a crazy mechanism that operated the push rod. I was going to use that myself on my 30 model a, then I decided to just buy a booster/master cylinder that is chrome and mount it on the firewall. Got to say it looks pretty cool next to the chrome engine. The pedal system i used is out of a late model mustang cobra. The pedal are real sporty looking, and the are real nice and tight so they fit rather nice. You can usually find them for about $150-$200. Cant beat it.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.