Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My engine has very low miles on it for starters. It's in a street rod that usually gets driven in the Spring and Summer. I recently had it out a few times on the sunny days to keep everything moving. Outside temp was around 45' F. I went to change the oil and noticed a white foam under the oil filler cap and under the PVC valve. I changed the oil and wiped everything clean and took it out for a short drive. After awhile I checked it again and the white foam came back but not as bad. I noticed moisture droplets starting to form. They were very clear at this stage (no antifreeze color) Because the engine is very open I can't get the temp to climb past about 150 to 160 unless I am idling for a long time. This never happens in the warmer weather. Is this likely a problem due to the cold weather and I'm not getting the top end of the engine heated properly for long enough? I run a 185 thermostat and I have an electric fan that I control when needed. The oil I use was the top product from Mopar and I changed to Ford's best and it didn't seem to help. Thank you.

·
489 Lemans
2,139 Posts
could be wrong

I could be wrong but i would say you are getting antifreeze in your oil. Mixed with oil I doubt you could smell it and only the water will condense at the top of the motor. Even if you drove around in a rainstorm I'd be surprised to see enough condensation to cause the oil to foam and change color. If the head gasket is gone you should have one or more tell tale signs; rad level dropping, water coming out of the exhaust, bubbles coming up in the rad. A crack is a little harder to locate. Your local rad shop can do a pressure test. Sometimes the crack doesn't open til the engine is warmed up though. I know a guy that bought a brand new set of edelbrock heads with a crack in one. The crack only opened up when the heads were torqued on. When the heads were removed the crack closed. It took him a long time to figure out where the leak was.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll check that out for sure. When I drained the oil that had been in for 1000 miles it was very clean. I figured if I was getting antifreeze inside it would have showed up. I'll do a pressure of the rad.

·
Registered
864 Posts
in cold weather if the car isn't ran for very long times you will get a buildup of condensation under the valvecovers. I had the same thing, oil is still completely clean and not milky, rad level is still up high. But the car hasn't been driven, just started and ran for 5-10 min to shake out the cobwebs.

I wouldn't worry too much about it, but the pressure check can't hurt.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Dubz had the answer...condensate from sitting around and not being run enough when you do light it off. 160 degrees is really not hot enough to vaporize the water that naturally accumulates. I suggest you either change to a hotter thermostat, and also make an effort to get it up to 180 degrees or so for at least 30 minutes.

Bluesman

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.