Hot Rod Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Born 13th Generation U.S.A.
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
You can use other stuff ( cheaper) for the rest of the glass/channels. $69 ? for what? Get it done.
Boy do you have a short memory (LOL). Your above post Link was to "Rubber The Right Way" is $3.45 a foot, I'm doing two trucks vents & door glass = approximately 20 feet do the math its $69 + tax + shipping totaling somewhere in the neighborhood of $85. $69 is with out all the extra.

·
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Find someone who rides lightweight bicycles , the tubes are very thin ,I used that on my 73 pickup vents , add a bit of black silicone.... ..30# roofing felt works , a bit of heat a drive glass into the frame .......put a strip of rubber in the frame so the glass doesn't bottom out , wedge the glass in position , fill with silicone , when cured , pull the wedges & finish up. Theres 3 simple ways to do it for cheap ..
Thanks but No thanks on the cheep Ways. I think I'll be using some Butyl Tape, proper size for channel & glass thickness @ $17 for 1.5" X 50 feet almost as cheep but without all the mess of silicone.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Thanks but No thanks on the cheep Ways. I think I'll be using some Butyl Tape, proper size for channel & glass thickness @ $17 for 1.5" X 50 feet almost as cheep but without all the mess of silicone.
You were the one complaining about high cost & lack if alternatives , I simply supplied you with low cost choices . Butyl tape , as in windshield setting tape , may not hold up for what youre doing ?? Good luck with your project !!

·
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 · (Edited)
You were the one complaining about high cost & lack if alternatives , I simply supplied you with low cost choices . Butyl tape , as in windshield setting tape , may not hold up for what youre doing ?? Good luck with your project !!
For the 20 feet I need $85 against $17 for twice the length of Butyl Tape against $3.45 a foot is a bargain. As for the use of Butyl Tape it was widely used back some time ago (60's,50's ect) but it was used for windshields and proven not real good didn't hold well as windshields poped out when people flew against it while slamming on the breaks (No Seat Belts Then) . I have Googled quite extensively and found quite a lot YouTube type videos from here and there using a variety of products Butyl Tape being used a few times. It is WATER THGHT AND has various thicknesses, sticks to the glass VERY WELL and its VERY MOLDABLE.
And yes I did look into all of the Links/Products (Thanks everone) associated with setting windows in glass. Google in YouTube this "glass4classics" its a nice video from Queensland Australia. Have a nice Xmas.

·
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 · (Edited)
This is for all you "naysayers" and you need the "right stuff" comments. Just to put a final answer to this/my posting I did find the Butyl Tape at a reasonable price. I found Butyl Tape to be the "easiest" product to use and its water tight to boot. "The Filling Station".com has a couple of sizes along with its only $1 a foot and $4 to ship me 10 feet, WOW $14 to my door step what a bargain. All other products were ether too sloppy, didn't bond to both glass & window channel and some being too stiff to work with as well came in last compaired to the Butyl Tapes ease to work with. The ease of simplicity is the best way to go, it was for me anyway.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Thanks, I have found similar stuff else ware also, they will send you a sample for $5.95 [email protected] all I need for a sample they can stick it in an envelope with a .50 cent stamp. I'll pass on them.
Ya, because the guy the reads your request for a sample, works for free, the guy that goes and picks/ cuts it off the roll/sheet, works for free, the guys in shipping and receiving work for free.
Do you work at your job for free??
Ya, didn't think so.
Your post seem to point that you are already set on using the product so use it and report back.
I am finding it hard to believe ,where the 67-72 g.m. trucks are so popular that you are finding it ,that hard to find what you need, already to go.
IIRC they repop the vent window glass and frame and sell it already together.

·
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Ya, because the guy the reads your request for a sample, works for free, the guy that goes and picks/ cuts it off the roll/sheet, works for free, the guys in shipping and receiving work for free.
Ya, didn't think so.
Your post seem to point that you are already set on using the product so use it and report back.
I am finding it hard to believe ,where the 67-72 g.m. trucks are so popular that you are finding it ,that hard to find what you need, already to go.
I've been Retired for five years now so NO paycheck there, and too answer your "Do you work for free" remark the work I do around the House and Garage is more rewarding then any paycheck.
I don't like buying parts off the shelf with there new re-designing of the parts being of the "Evolution of Design" Factor there Not Made the same as the OEM part including thickness problems associated with some parts, that's a cop out and its just replacing parts No Brains Involved there. A real home/garage type person rebuilding or restoring Cars, Trucks, Motorcycles and the likes will go to Great Lengths of rebuilding the original parts That's a real Mechanic not like what we have to put up with these days in the CRAP sold as replacement parts.
It's not easy finding what will work with whats out there, like I said before above "Evolution of Design" CHANGES EVERYTHING. My wing window OEM glass is thicker than the new "repop" crap so all of the rubber type setting materials and the butyl tape thickness don't really match the wing window channel gaps for a Snug Fit for the glass.
The right fitment is the way to go for me but if you want that "repop crap" and all the modifications that will need to be done for the fitment of that crap have at it guy.
Ya, didn't think so.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I've been Retired for five years now so NO paycheck there, and too answer your "Do you work for free" remark the work I do around the House and Garage is more rewarding then any paycheck.
I don't like buying parts off the shelf with there new re-designing of the parts being of the "Evolution of Design" Factor there Not Made the same as the OEM part including thickness problems associated with some parts, that's a cop out and its just replacing parts No Brains Involved there. A real home/garage type person rebuilding or restoring Cars, Trucks, Motorcycles and the likes will go to Great Lengths of rebuilding the original parts That's a real Mechanic not like what we have to put up with these days in the CRAP sold as replacement parts.
It's not easy finding what will work with whats out there, like I said before above "Evolution of Design" CHANGES EVERYTHING. My wing window OEM glass is thicker than the new "repop" crap so all of the rubber type setting materials and the butyl tape thickness don't really match the wing window channel gaps for a Snug Fit for the glass.
The right fitment is the way to go for me but if you want that "repop crap" and all the modifications that will need to be done for the fitment of that crap have at it guy.
Whatever makes you sleep at night, you being retired, was dancing around the question, As you worked at some point in life.
Many guys with those trucks have replaced the vent window seals and window tape, and don't have problems.
The repop is an option, parts to renew are out there and have been for decades. and for most vent windows for g.m./ford/mopar.
But every person that posted what they used and where they got it, you replied back with molskin. this and that.
You already made up your mind. And why I stated, use it and report back.
Heck you cold take photo's of each step and post the "how to"

21 - 29 of 29 Posts