Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an older 2 wire push start button with a metal body . the metal body has a charge on it even before I depress the button not sure if this is normal for that style switch all the connections are clean and wires are in good shape. Don't know what the Amp rating for switch is either.
Any ideas .

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
A start switch will just complete the circuit (add 12 volts) to the starter solenoid which is just a big relay. Amps across the switch (button) is small. The way this circuit SHOULD work is when the key is turned to run power is supplied to the start button. When the button is pushed voltage should then go to a neutral safety switch then to the starter solenoid.

Some have wired the starter button as hot all the time which I don't recommend for safety.

·
True Hotrodder
1,955 Posts
Depends on how you want it to work and that's up to the user/builder of the car. I set mine up to spin the engine over and then flip the ignition on to fire the engine. It's actually a bit easier on the starter this way but the amount of timing lead has a bearing on it too.
When you say the metal portion has an electrical current on it, then there is something that has broken down inside the switch and it should be replaced.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Depends on how you want it to work and that's up to the user/builder of the car. I set mine up to spin the engine over and then flip the ignition on to fire the engine. It's actually a bit easier on the starter this way but the amount of timing lead has a bearing on it too.
When you say the metal portion has an electrical current on it, then there is something that has broken down inside the switch and it should be replaced.
Thank you for your replay I will replace the switch That's easy enough. Also check the way its wired up The harness is easy to trace
Stay healthy

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A start switch will just complete the circuit (add 12 volts) to the starter solenoid which is just a big relay. Amps across the switch (button) is small. The way this circuit SHOULD work is when the key is turned to run power is supplied to the start button. When the button is pushed voltage should then go to a neutral safety switch then to the starter solenoid.

Some have wired the starter button as hot all the time which I don't recommend for safety.
Thank you for your reply. I will check the routing and replace the switch.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
If you use a starter relay near the starter then you can run a low amp push button switch and low amp netural safety switch ran off key on(main switch) power.
These can use say 14 gauge wiring up to the relay then 10 gauge after the relay to the starter solenoid.

A 3 position (on/off/on)hidden switch can also be ran as a slight security measure. This will let you have the push button wired up to the starter, off, or to a horn located under the drivers speaker.

One or two blast of a horn tends to get peoples attention. I have even ran a timed relay to the coil so it lets it run for 15 seconds before shutting the coil/car off.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.